Chapter 9: Shattered Pieces

The hospital corridors buzzed with activity as Ice hurriedly made her way to the waiting area where Mac sat, his expression tense with worry.

"Mac, where's Nop?" Ice's voice trembled with concern as she approached her brother's friend.

Mac looked up, his eyes weary from hours of waiting. "He's still in the operating room," he replied quietly, his voice barely above a whisper.

Ice's heart sank at the news. "Does Mon know?" she asked, her voice quivering with fear.

Mac shook his head, his brow furrowed with uncertainty. "I don't know how to tell her," he admitted, his own anxiety evident.

As Ice fought to hold back her tears, a commotion at the entrance of the waiting area caught their attention. An elderly woman rushed in, her eyes wild with panic as she approached a group of young professionals.

"Excuse me, how is Sam?" the old woman's voice was filled with desperation as she addressed the group.

One of Sam's teammates stepped forward, offering a reassuring smile. "Sam is still being observed GrandMa, and the doctors are running some tests," she replied, her voice calm yet compassionate.

As the updates on Sam's condition circulated, GrandMa's hands flew to her head, a wave of dizziness sweeping over her. She staggered slightly, but before she could collapse, one of Sam's team members rushed to her side, gently supporting her and guiding her to a nearby bench.

"Easy there, Ma'am. Let's sit you down," the team member said, her voice soothing as she helped GrandMa settle onto the bench.

GrandMa took a few deep breaths, trying to steady herself, while the team member remained by her side, offering reassurance and comfort.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the waiting area, Mac and Ice sat in silence, their minds consumed with worry for Nop and concern about how to break the news to Mon.

"I just don't know how to tell her," Mac muttered, frustration evident in his voice as he rubbed his temples.

Ice nodded in understanding, her own thoughts racing. "We'll find the right way, Mac. We just need to stay strong for Mon," she replied, her voice filled with determination.

Together, they sat in tense anticipation, grappling with the weight of the situation and hoping for positive news from the doctors.

Moments later, the hospital waiting room fell silent as the doctor's voice cut through the tension. "Who is Patient Nop's guardian?" the doctor called out, his tone somber.

Ice shot up from her seat, her heart pounding in her chest as she approached the doctor, Mac close behind her, offering silent support.

With a heavy heart, the doctor began, "I'm sorry, but despite our best efforts, we couldn't save Nop. The injuries he sustained in the accident, both external and internal, were too severe."

A wave of shock and grief washed over Ice as she processed the devastating news. Tears welled up in her eyes, threatening to spill over, while Mac's own eyes filled with sorrow.

"We need to tell Mon," Mac said softly, his voice trembling with emotion.

Ice nodded in agreement, her heart aching at the thought of breaking such heartbreaking news to her sister. Together, they steeled themselves for the difficult task ahead, knowing that they would need to lean on each other for strength in the face of such profound loss.

As Mac and Ice leaned on each other for support, their grief palpable in the air, another doctor approached GrandMa. It was her family doctor, who had been overseeing Sam's care.