Hidden pain

Later that day, at the hospital, Abby brought some clothes for me to change into. They didn't match, but I didn't care at this point.
" Thank you, Abby. They don't match, but they'll work."
" Of course. While you're changing, I will use the lady's room down the hall," replied Abby. Max was still in the room, helping me with whatever I needed.
" I'll be right back."
"OK," Max said. I could tell he was trying Not to make the situation awkward. I hopped To the bathroom and closed the door behind Me. I had no idea how to get in the skinny jeans, but I'll have to do something.
I started with the shirt, trying to get it on, but I couldn't get it over my head.
" Hey, Abby!" All I heard was shuffling and then Max's voice.
" Abby came back saying she had to leave. Do you need something?" he said. What I needed was assistance getting my clothes on.
" If you're willing to help me get my clothes on, that would be great. But if you're not, that's ok." there was silence for a bit before he answered.
" I can help..." His tone of voice sounded very nervous and awkward. I walked up to the bathroom door and unlocked it. He opened It and closed it behind him. He didn't lock it, just in case he needed to get out for something.
" Is it just your shirt?" he asked.
" No, it's my pants too." I can't get them on, and I need his help. I'm just glad that I have a bra and panties on.
" OK. Let's start with your shirt." And with that, I started to take off the hospital gown they gave me, feeling exposed. But I wasn't expecting his reaction. I heard him hold his breath and saw him in the reflection in the mirror on top of the sink, just staring at my back. Then I remembered how many scars I had on my back, and then I was the one holding my breath.
Max always made me forget about My scars and problems. He always made me feel like I could trust him.
I felt Max's fingertips trace the many scars, and I flinched from his warm touch. He noticed my slight shiver and started to wrap his arms around My waist, hugging me from behind.
" I'm sorry that this man did this to you."
" You don't have to be sorry, Max. You didn't do anything." I felt His breath on my back and then his lips on one of my scars. Then he started to put a single kiss on each one.
"I wish I were there so I could've stopped him," said Max. I felt my vision blur, and a single tear escaped my eye. I brushed it away immediately, trying not to look weak.
" You couldn't have been able to do anything."
Then we both stood there in silence, with Max hugging my waist his head on my shoulder.
After a little bit, Max grabbed my shirt and told me to raise my arms. I did as he asked, and he shimmied it onto my chest. His fingers lightly grazed the side of my breast, but I just tried to ignore the feeling. Then he grabbed my pants and started on the Good Foot. He got it up to my knee, then stopped and started on my injured foot. He was as gentle as a feather, trying not to move my ankle too much, but with skinny jeans, that was impossible. Somehow, Max got my pants over my ankle and pulled them up to my waist. My ankle was throbbing by then, trying to seeth through the pain of jeans.
He wouldn't let me button my pants, so I had to stand there while he struggled to get the zipper up. I was immensely enjoying myself watching him struggle.
Once he was done struggling, he opened the bathroom door And turned to the side, ensuring I didn't fall. All I had was my purse and sunglasses left in the room.
Max grabbed both and handed them to me, then lifted me while I was holding them. He carried Me out of the room door and took a sharp turn.
" You do know that I can walk. I have legs."
" I know you can, but you're slow. You won't be able to keep up with me."
" Very funny."  he continued to walk down the hall with me in His arms. We kept getting weird looks from everyone, including the doctors. But he just kept walking like he didn't care, even though he didn't care.
   We got to the elevator, and he finally put me down. I limped a little while trying to balance, and then Max wrapped His arm around my waist, stabilizing me.
" Thanks," I said. We waited for the elevator for over 30 seconds, and it finally opened. I limped into the elevator and walked to the corner to hang onto the railing.  I heard Max chuckle a little.
" What's so funny?"
" Nothing. I just remembered that we almost kissed before an elevator at your uncle's business."  That day, I was seeing my uncle Because of the funeral. I was a little angry at him for even considering me going to the funeral.
  The doors of the elevator opened, and I got lifted again. Max carried me out of the elevator and walked through the main lobby. If I thought that almost everyone upstairs was staring at us, now everyone was staring at us, walking through the white lobby with light blue decorations.