Heal

Max picked me up in his firm, warm arms and started walking. He tried to walk as smoothly as possible so I wouldn't feel too much pain, but it didn't work. I fought through it, trying to stay conscious. Then, out of nowhere, I remembered that my uncle wanted me kidnapped; he wanted me to feel the pain Trey had caused, and that made me pass out completely. I couldn't handle all of the stress. All I heard was Max yelling my name, trying to keep me awake.
   " Come on, Elizabeth, you can make it. All you have to do is stay awake..." And that's where it ended.
The next thing I knew, I woke up in a hospital bed with a clear small tube under my nose. Weirdly enough, I felt warmth in my hand. I slowly looked over and saw Max holding my hand, sleeping with his head hung low. I tried to say his name, but I was too weak.
   "Mmmmm..." I couldn't say anything. But once I made a noise, I saw Max's head shoot up to look at me. I thought he was sleeping, but I guess not.
   " Elizabeth? Thank god you're awake. I was so worried," he said relieved. Why was he worried about me? He was a spoiled man with lots of money.  He could get all the girls in the world to be concerned about. But why me?
   " Hang on. I'll tell the doctor you're awake. Stay here."  Like I could go anywhere. Idiot. He walked out the door, making a sharp right. He then returned with a Doctor who looked around mid-fourties', wearing a white coat and teal scrubs.
" Are you her boyfriend? Or a family member?" asked the doctor.
" Yes. I'm her boyfriend." Why did he say that? We were NOT dating. I wanted to protest, but I couldn't. And I wouldn't say I liked it.
" Can you please tell me what happened
to her?" asked Max.
" She has a severe concussion and a broken ankle. Everything else is good. Her vitals are good, and she is responsive." Obviously.
   " That's good. I'm just glad she's ok," Max said as he was looking at me with love in his eyes, which I didn't understand.
   " If I may ask, do you know of any past abuse? Maybe a bad fall or anything?" asked the doctor. With that comment, Max stopped looking at me, now looking at the doctor.
   " Not that I know of, why?"  Please don't say anything. I didn't want him to reveal my biggest secret. I wouldn't be able to handle the stress behind it. I tried to forget that terrible man. But of course, the doctor answered him.
   " Well, she has had multiple broken ribs more than once. And she has had a cracked skull. They're all healed now, but I was just wondering."  At that, Max looked at me in pain, sincerity, and confusion.
   " Even if I do know, that is none of your business, Doctor. Thank you for checking up on her," he said. At that remark, the doctor left, and Max returned to my side.
" Everything will be alright, Elizabeth."  Then, I passed out because of exhaustion. Not knowing he slept at the hospital again.