Fake love

I woke up again, but this time with no warmth in my hand. I opened my eyes to see no one there. A few minutes later, I had to use the restroom, so I started to swivel my way to the left side of the crackling bed. I hung onto the bed while slowly putting my weight onto my feet. I could walk on my good ankle, so I should be ok. Boy, was I wrong.
   I took one step with my good foot, putting all my weight on it. Then, I tried to step with my broken ankle and immediately collapsed. Hard too.
   " Elizabeth. What do you think you're doing?" Laying on the ground, I turned my head and saw my uncle.
   " Go away, Uncle. It's not like you care. All you care about is your filthy image. Not even your niece."  I said. He walked over and tried to help me get up, but I didn't take the offering.
" I don't need your help. I can help myself," I said.
I slowly got up using the end table, and hopped to the bathroom with the hospital sock they gave me. I locked the door behind me. I sat on the toilet and finally relieved myself of the pressure.
   I looked down and saw the large scar on my leg. A very long scar. Can you believe it? I traced the horrible reminder of why I don't trust anyone. Knowing no one would know what it was from.
I finished my business, getting up, flushed the toilet, and hobbled over to the sink to wash my hands. I had to wash one hand at a time because I couldn't stabilize myself. And this stupid sock wasn't helping.
   I came back out of the bathroom a few minutes later. I was looking at the floor when I came out until I noticed two pairs of feet instead of one. I looked up and saw that Max was back. He walked over with what looked like a red Jello cup. I didn't just notice the jello but his outfit, too. He wore a white button-down shirt with rolled sleeves, navy blue dress pants with a black belt, and black dress shoes. He must've just come from the office, although his facial features told me he hadn't been sleeping.
" Good morning, sleepy head. I brought you jello from the cafeteria. Thought you might want to eat something."
" I'm not hungry right now, not with him here." I stared directly at my uncle. That sick bastard dared to wait here for me to finish my business. My eyes moved to the hospital bed; I wanted to sit down. I started my way over there, but then my knee gave out, and I stumbled until someone caught me. I felt his strong arms around my waist and knew it was Max. Of course, he had put the jello on the end table next to my bed before. Thank god.
" I got you," he said. I don't know why, but I'm glad he's here. He gives me a reassuring feeling I haven't had in a while.
" Thank you."
I got to the bed and put my butt down first, then swung one leg over, then the other. It was more complicated than it looked, especially with the cardboard sheets sliding everywhere. I sat there in bed for a few seconds, just staring at the white comforter. Then, I finally decided to speak.
" You never loved me. You never even considered me as your niece. And to think you came here to make sure I was ok is bullshit. So don't give me that crap, why are you here." I looked into my uncle's eyes and got straight to the point. I wanted to make it fast.
" You're right... I'm here to tell you that the funeral got pushed up, and the decorations need to be done by tomorrow." He said with no emotion in his eyes—just his cold heart.
" I fucking knew it. Why can't you be a loving uncle? I'm here on a cardboard hospital bed, wearing a cast over my ankle, unable to walk. And you're over there worrying about your image." Max started to pitch into the conversation, making me remember that he was still there.
" Mr. Bradshaw. I hate to interrupt, but Elizabeth needs her rest. She has a concussion and a broken ankle. This stress is not good for her." Max said.
" Alright, Mr. Sullivan. I'll leave. But Elizabeth, don't forget that I can easily send you away on vacation again with someone else. Get the funeral decorations done by tomorrow." I couldn't believe him. I didn't just get kidnapped, but borrowed by my uncle to his best friend.
   The tears started growing in my eyes as I connected the dots. I tried to stop them, but I couldn't control them. My vision started to get blurry, and my eye bags were wet with tears. I wish the memories and pain would go away.
" Elizabeth. If I may ask, what vacation is he talking about?" asked Max. I knew he would want answers sooner or later. But I just couldn't.
" It's nothing. Just a silly joke..."