Surprise

It was Monday morning, with the sun glaring through the windows, making it hard to see the board. I was sitting in my math class, listening to the professor, when I got a phone call from a random number. I started to get up from my chair to answer the phone call but got stopped.
     "Ms. Elizabeth. Where do you think you're going," asked Mr. Anderson. Knowingly, I should answer and not just stand there being embarrassed.
"I have a phone call that needs my attention. It's an emergency," I lied; it wasn't, but I took the opportunity for an escape.
"Alright. But make it fast; we have a quiz, and I will not wait for you."  I knew Mr. Anderson had a soft spot for phone calls.
      I walked to the brown double doors, pushed them open with a thump, and went into the white and tan hallway, far enough so the classes couldn't eavesdrop. Then I hit the green circular button on my phone and answered it.
" Hello?" I asked hesitantly.  The person on the other side of the phone answered a few seconds later with a snotty tone.
" May I talk to Ms. Elizabeth Weston, please?" Even though it was a random number, this girl's voice didn't sound like a robot, so I think I'm safe.
" This is she," I answered, wondering why she was asking.
" Good morning, Ms. Weston. I am calling to inform you that your uncle's best friend, Trey Sullivan, has passed away. Your uncle wishes to see you before the funeral," she stated.
     I wanted to hang up the phone. I couldn't even see straight; I was utterly shocked. I hated this deceased man with my entire body. And to think that my uncle wanted to see me, probably to talk to me about joining him at the funeral, which was outrageous. All of the terrible memories came rushing back. The pain, the fear, and the abuse. All of it. Until I got snapped out of my trance.
"Ms. Weston?" she asked.
" I'm still here." Those three words were all I could muster without cursing her out.
       " Mr. Bradshaw wishes to see you today after school. Please come straight to his office for further details about the funeral," she ordered. I just stood there staring at the white wall in front of me, but I remembered I had work later today
" I can't; I have work after school. My uncle is just going to have to wait." I wanted to hang up so bad, but the woman on the other side wouldn't let me. 
" That has already been taken care of. Your boss knows that you have a family emergency that needs attention. As I said before, please come straight to his office. Have a good day," she answered, annoyed. Before I could say anything else, she hung up the phone, and I heard the low beep of an ended call. What a snot.