Sixteen

DIVYA

Cora jammed her pudgy fist into her mouth, trying to gobble it down and spilling out drool in between. She wiggled her Pamper-clad buttocks on the holdup chair while trying to follow me with her twinkling eyes.

I smiled down at her while pacing the floor, the phone stuck next to my ear. Happiness was far away. I felt annoyed with myself for allowing frustration to rule me.

"Come on, baby, how long are you going to do this to me?" Adam whined on the other end, like a fork scraping on an empty plate, making me cringe.

"I am not doing anything to you."

"You are, baby. You are punishing me for my mistakes. How many times do I have to tell you I am sorry?"

"Fine. I forgive you. Happy now?"

"Of course. I want you to come home. If you tell me where you are, I can—"

"Goddammit Adam!" I exploded. "How many times do I have to tell you? I am not coming back. We. Are. Done."

"No, we are not. I miss you, baby. You know I don't gamble anymore. We can do this."
The sun would have to stop rising for me to believe him. His voice alone on these continuous calls riled my nerves.

"We are not doing anything. Ever."

"What do you want? You want to get married? Let's get married."

"I can't marry you, Adam. I am already married."

Wait. What?

Shit! That had not been my plan. Was I supposed to tell people? But this could help me out now.

"I got married a few days ago."

"To whom?" I didn't need to see him to hear his suspicion run through the line.

"A very jealous man."

A burst of laughter greeted me. "Oh baby, are you making up an imaginary husband?"

I bristled, thorns sticking out of my skin. I wished for once he was in front of me so I could jam my fist in his face.

There is no need to play hard to get," he continued.

"I am not. I got married in city hall a few days ago."

"Yeah, and I'm Santa Claus. We broke up, and you found some guy who was willing to marry you, just like that? Please."

Willing?
My chest burned with anger, leaving acid coiling in my stomach.

What had I ever seen in this man to cross an ocean with him?

I wanted to tell him about Antonio. About his kisses which left my knickers far more twisted than his ever did. But I didn't.

"Fine. Believe whatever you want. I am married. Not married. Either way, I am not coming back. We are done." I hung up on him.

Why had I picked up the phone again when he had called? Thank god he had no idea where I was. I wouldn't put it past him to turn up at our doorstep. Somehow, I had the feeling that Antonio would not take kindly to that.

Rescuing Cora's fist from her own gobbling, I settled next to the bath and let the water run. I didn't mind a bath myself. Some relaxation would do me good. Not that Antonio could barge in. Armando told me he was away on a business trip. Which he had neglected to tell me. I guessed I wasn't wife enough for that.

The man had the strangest hours to work. Last night I had thought I was dreaming when I heard a phone go off and a hurried Italian conversation. But apparently not, because he had taken off in the middle of the night.