ONE.

FOUR YEARS LATER

YULIYA

Red ants crawled up her skin and burnt her alive. The paths they burnt led to her heart, and everywhere they touched erupted into a fucking fire. A fire that reached deep inside and pounded to the beat of an elephant stampede. The outside world drowned in white noise. All she heard was the pounding of her craving. All she tasted was her craving. All she breathed was her craving. Her deep, deep craving for the next high.

She wasn't going to be choosey. She didn't care what she got into her system as long as she got something in. She needed her shot, and she needed it now. Her fists clenched on the once pristine linen sheets. Now they were crushed and tangled and soaked with her sweat. Her body trembled with an ache for something that was out of her reach. But she held onto her sheets and anchored herself to the bed. Hiding, waiting till the time was right. Until she could escape this hell hole. Escape the fuckers in this house who watched her like hawks and blocked her way to freedom. To get fucked and to get her fix.

Fuck!

What she would do to get what she yearned. She might even inject herself if she needed to. What was the point of hiding anyway when they all knew? But first, she had to wait. Until he left for his office. He pissed her off. Keeping her away from things she loved. Bounding her to that wailing machine. When she made it out of there, she would destroy him. Make him regret the day he decided to fucking tie her down by marrying her.

She should have known. When her father came home gushing about the young consigliere from Sicily. Since when did the Bratva gush about the fucking Italians? That should have set her red flags on alert. But he gushed, and he swooned about the thirty-year-old consigliere moving to Boston to make new bonds and tie clans together. If she had been of sane mind, she would have asked him how that was even possible. But she hadn't been, and she hadn't cared either. What did it have anything to do with her anyway? But he kept drooling over the man, and weeks turned into months, and months turned into a year, and suddenly she was in a fucking church, and saying yes to a man with eyes far sharper than a laser beam of a sniper. Just like that, he took away her dream of pumping her body with all the drugs she could find out of her hands.
She had to backtrack. Because of him. But she had done that. If she could hide her little secrets from her father and brothers, she could do it from him. She had to be good. She tried. She really did. She didn't mind trying for him. He was fucking hot, and impaling his cock in her gave her a different kind of high. One she rode out gladly. Over and over again.

There were no illusions between them. They were more fuck buddies than husband and wife. She didn't think he even cared for her to begin with. The coldness in his eyes only proved her right. Which made her wonder why he even tied himself to her. But he did. His lifeless eyes and controlling nature followed her everywhere, and the only time his control slipped for even a second was when he was pounding inside her like the devil himself had pushed his cock inside her. The victory in her was so much sweeter when he came, and his control slipped for that second.

Not that she liked him that much either. She liked her men willing and submissive. There wasn't an inkling of submissiveness to be found in him. He was all dominant and arrogant. Two traits she would rather live without. But still, she tried because she didn't want to piss off her daddy.

But she was who she was, and there was no changing that. It was great while it lasted, but realistically, for how long was she going to play housewife? His house was dull and reeked of boredom and sullen Italian humour. Her father may have gotten over his hatred of Italians, but that didn't mean she had to. His staff grated on her nerves like a fork on Mama's bone china. Rosa, in particular, was a fucking nuisance breathing down her neck with her fake, motherly love. If she didn't even give a fuck about her own mother, then she wasn't in need of a substitute. So, she went back to her old ways. She fucked the men she found, and she stuffed what she could find down her body. It felt brilliant. Well, till he found out. He caught on to her faster than her own family, and they were the Bratva.