"What, are you concerned?" I laughed it off, hoping to hide how I truly felt about returning to the place that had attempted to imprison me.

"As I'll have you know, yes, I am quite concerned. Usually it's difficult to get you to stop running your mouth," he replied, throwing the latter part of his statement in as if to ensure the fact that it wouldn't seem as if he cared too much.

"You have much bigger things to worry about, yet you're worrying about the fact I shut up for once? General, I believe your priorities are not where they should be."

"Captain, are you questioning me? Can a leader not care about those he's supervising?" Calyx retorted, a smile beginning to pull at his lips regardless of the pressing circumstance. The First Captain to the left of him only rolled his eyes, groaning silently at our interaction. He didn't seem to notice this, instead continuing through the rock-lined roads. While it was clear Calyx's other Captain found our conversation scarcely amusing, I didn't mind entertaining the notion that just maybe, the shadow user might have some form of care for my well being.

"We're heading across the bridge," Calyx cleared his throat, dismissing the previous exchange and focusing on the goal at hand, "So be prepared to meet guards. It's likely they'll all be protecting the Queen, so don't be startled when you see them. I'll be taking the front while you"—he pointed to me—"fall behind, and you,"—he gestured to the Captain on his left—"take my side."

"Wait," I interrupted, confused as to what he meant. "What do you mean, I fall behind?"

"Pylia, you've only begun training as a swordsman and you hardly know how to wield a weapon. You have no ability and the guards we'll be fighting vastly outrank you. I don't want to take any unnecessary risks in having you fight on the front lines."

"I can hold my own just fine, you know that," I fought back as he began to quicken his pace, walking faster as if to simply dismiss my words. I scoffed at the action and surged forward, leaving the man to Calyx's right free of what could appear to be flirting but now was no more than childish bickering.

"Pylia, just follow the plan and don't interfere. I don't want to have to explain to the King why I already need a new first Captain. The last one already died, and that's not the fate I have envisioned for you." The mention of the young boy's death was a quick way to clamp my mouth shut; after all, such a thing was not to be argued with. But that didn't change the fact that I was desperate to participate in whatever battles were to take place—as if part of my rationality was overtaken by the notion of claiming revenge over a place I used to believe was my home.

"What if I don't? Are you gonna fire me? I never asked for this position in the first place." He stopped in his tracks at my words, turning to face me, his hair brushing against his furrowed brow as a masked frustration was plastered across his features.

"Captain, I ask that you learn your place. I could request for your execution in seconds, but personally, I already have enough blood on my hands. So unless you want me to be the one dragging you back to the King in a body bag, I advise you get back in line before I'm left with no choice."

Surprised by his suddenly serious demeanor and left with no witty response, I closed my mouth and nodded, stepping back from him to signal the fact that he had come out victorious from our dispute. He flashed me a satisfied smirk, the corners of his mouth drawn up to hide his aggravation.

"Soldiers!" he called back to the army behind him, their posture straightening as his hardened gaze flickered over each person, "We are approaching the acropolis. There will be an overpass in which we will find it necessary to fight. I expect each person to serve their role in this mission. Be prepared, ladies and gentlemen. Let this be our declaration!"