-Thirteen-

"I can't believe you made me Captain," I grumbled, marching alongside Calyx in a fashion that he had taught me. We had left the Tenebris faction hours ago, and it seemed that only now had we entered the nation.

It felt strange to see the Eclipse like this; being able to catch sight of Nyx's moon overlapping the sun from a perspective that wasn't spent cowering in fear. I had spent my whole life doing such a thing, making myself known to a few while leaving the rest to wonder what my existence was truly worth. Yet it seemed that now, I could walk free in front of all, rendered powerless but not useless—weak, though somehow, still strong.

"Well, it's not as if I had a choice," he sighed, eyes glossed over and distant. It seemed that everything about this moment had made him wish to collapse to the ground in tears. Sieging a city after losing someone quite dear to him as his only chance of escaping was scrapped entirely when he was forced to replace a man whom he appeared to love.

"Right," I gulped, feeling guilty for ever thinking of complaining. After all, I lost someone as well. Perhaps not to death, but rather to the grasp of corruption that couldn't seem to stand her sense of what was right.

At the thought of Eralyn, I couldn't help but feel tears prick at my eyes. Over the course of only a few days, I had neglected to realize simply how much I had missed her. Her intelligent words, her consistent scolding, her idea that a perfect justice could ever exist in this world. Her delusions had given me hope, and occasionally, they still do. She was, after all, why I was marching at the front lines of the troops. I was fighting for her; fighting for what she deserved. I was doing the right thing... Right?

"General Calyx, sir," a man greeted, running up to the shadow user who stood in front of me. The man saluted, his hand rushing to his dark brow in respect, gray eyes meeting Calyx's. "The soldiers in Team E have encountered an unexpected hindrance..."

The bloke continued to speak, though I couldn't be bothered to listen—I had realized something. We were in Eralyn's neighborhood. It was a familiar area, tainted with years spent together. The streets were so close, planted in my memories. But that was all they were meant to be. I didn't wish to be trapped here. I didn't wish to remember what I once had. How did it all crumble so quickly?

"Hey, you okay?" Calyx whispered faintly to me, pulling me from unwanted recollections. I nodded back without a word, gulping back images from mere weeks ago. He gave me a weak smile, as if to tell me that he didn't believe me but wouldn't pry further.

"We move forward. Survey the area and destroy anyone who opposes you. We are here for one purpose; follow it!" he shouted to the battalion stationed directly behind us, all of which saluted at his orders, hands resting on the sheaths of their weapons. It felt strange to be standing next to someone of such high influence, and even odder to know that I held an effect over his judgment.

Just as he had commanded, we marched ahead towards whatever awaited us at the end of the path. From as far as I could see it, the road we strode upon was a straight route to the Advisory. It sat on the acropolis, overlooking the rest of the city as if to make it apparent the series of structures held a significant relevance in the faction.

Even just gazing upon its raindrop-shaped architecture adorned in glistening golden terraces caused a vile feeling of hatred to overtake me. It was the place where people claimed power over others and dictated their future, where aristocrats forced their ideals on those who couldn't afford a single meal. Where a Queen exiled people for nothing more than the threat of power. Eralyn would've bettered such a cruel place, I thought.

"You're being awfully quiet," Calyx murmured to me as we continued uphill. There was no need to be quiet however, as the sound of shuffling armor quickly overshadowed any noise. The King must not be known for her ability at forming effective sneak attacks.