Chapter One

It was the coldest October Angela had seen in her twenty-three years on the planet, she shivered under her thin, thread-bear hoodie. Why do I have to wear this dress that is terribly short in such cold weather like this? She asked herself in her head as a shiver flew down her spine. She hated the uniform but it was the only job she could possibly find since she had moved here from New York. Moved was probably not the best word to describe her circumstances, ran away was more appropriate0 but she did not want to think about that right then.

Angela tried desperately not to think about it because she was on her way to work then and she simply couldn't get upset. She tried to put all thoughts of her mother, father and little sister that she hadn't seen in almost five years out of her head. She tried not to think about the reasons she foolishly moved from her home in Miami to New York when she turned eighteen. She tried not to think about what had led her to where she was at that moment in time too- her second move, to this quiet town near Toronto. Most of all, Angela tried not to focus on how alone she felt constantly through all of this. She tried but she failed.

Waving her hands in front of her eyes to stop herself from crying was doing her no good. But she needed to compose herself before getting out of her beat-up old car. Angela finally put herself back together temporarily, getting out of the car and closing the door behind her. She was freezing and the diner she worked in was no better than outside. The noise of the bell dinging on the door at her arrival and the sound of Boys- The Beatles coming from the old jukebox filled her ears. She saw Kristen making coffee and walked up to her.

"Hey girl." She called. Angela shuddered from the freezing temperature in the diner but took off her hoodie anyways, because she knew her boss would complain about it if she didn't.

"Hello Kris." She smiled weakly back at the other woman, calling her by her nickname like she wanted. Angela got ready to work then.

Kristen was a bubbly redhead who welcomed her ever since she started there at the diner; she thought Kristen was probably just delighted to finally see someone else work waiting tables alongside her. Angela would almost bet the work days were even more boring when you were on your own. Kristen was feisty and 'Didn't take shit from no one'- but those were her own words. She was tall and slim, but when Angela thought about it she figured everyone was tall when she stood beside them, being just a little over five feet.

"Hello girls." The pair heard their boss, Luigi, call from inside the kitchen behind them. Luigi was a short and stout man who was a little too touchy-feely with them. He made Angela very uncomfortable but she really needed her job so said nothing about it. Kris on the other hand, was definitely not afraid to voice her opinion about their boss, loud and clear.

"What do you want perv?" she chewed loudly on her chewing gum and blew a bubble.

"I told you already I dock your pay check if you call me that again Kristen. No?" He laughed, not taking it too seriously, he never seemed to take her seriously when she talked about him that way. Kristen smiled falsely, her bright red lipstick stood out from the dull work uniform she was wearing which was a sickening off-yellow and mustard color.

"Sorry." she rolled her eyes, and tried her best to make sure that Luigi knew she was far from sorry. Angela forced a laugh and began to clean around the diner and wipe the tables. She didn't want to make any friends while she was there so never conversed with the Luigi nor Kristen for too long. She couldn't get too attached to anyone because this situation she was in right then was not permanent; it was only until Angela was forced to move again.

The bell on the door rang again, she flinched and looked up. She let out a sigh of relief when she discovered it wasn't him. C'mon Angela, there is no way he could know where you are, he won't be able to find you yet. 'Yet' was the word that scared her the most in that sentence, because although she was miles away from New York, she knew eventually he would catch up with her and take her back. That was the only thing Angela thought about sometimes, it kept her up at night wondering would that day be her last of freedom or would he wait just another. His evil presence still lingered although she had not seen him for quite some time, in her mind, her thoughts, her body and soul. Even if he hadn't found her yet, she was always afraid that the next person to walk in that door would be him; she lived in total fear every day that he would come back. But Angela had to get used to it, it was hard to live your life looking over your shoulder but it was how she learned to survive.