Two

⚔️*Nico Marino*⚔️

My time in Seattle would be cut short. A money problem had arisen. Matteo needs me in Los Angeles. I'm my brother's keeper so I'll be on the first flight tomorrow morning.

That means, I have one day to see my girl. I like how that sounds, my girl. I'm not sure if it's infatuation, love or lust. Either way she's mine. I have the perfect excuse to go back to Johnston University.

The program coordinator gave me her business card. She seemed more than excited about us potentially spending time together. I looked through my suitcase in an attempt to find her number. A wave of relief washed over me as I realized I hadn't thrown the card away.

"Ms. Smith, it's Nico Marino. I wanted to discuss a few other scholarships. Are you available today?" 

" Of course." she agreed. "You can come whenever you like. I'll be available for you all day. Maybe after we can get lunch. I'd love to show you around."

"I'll be there in an hour." I texted Camillo to pull the car around.

When I walked into the office all small talk ceased. It didn't bother me. I've grown accustomed to it whether it be business or pleasure. In our culture it's a sign of respect to be silent when the most important person enters the room.

I sat in a black chair across from Ms. Smith. "Mr. Marino, I'm elated that you came back today." Her non-stop smiling annoyed me.

"I'm willing to make another donation to the college." I pulled out my check book. "Will two million dollars suffice?"

"Oh Mr. Marino, that would be amazing." The other women in the office turned to look as she gasped.

"One more thing, do you have information about the student that pepper sprayed me? Does she stay on campus?" She realized I wasn't there for her. 

"Mr. Marino, we can't give out student information. It's against federal  laws and regulations." She replied. 

"Two million dollars says you can. I just want to apologize for startling her. How about I throw in $25,000 just for you?" She looked at me then started typing on her computer.

"Rose Richter, she stays in Blue Ridge, the on-campus apartments. She'll be on the third floor in apartment 308. This has to stay between us."

"Don't worry it will, but you should be ashamed of yourself." I placed both checks in Ms. Smith's hand. A part of me was disappointed that she would potentially risk a student's safety for money. Life has taught me that everyone has a price and most people drop their morals when money is involved.

A map posted outside the admissions office was my guide. 

Washington has the worst fucking weather. My thousand dollar shoes weren't meant to wade through water. 

The people that built these apartments must have been morons. The building layout makes no sense. I eventually found her apartment.

All hell would break loose if this didn't work but I feel like she's worth it. I covered her peephole with my finger then knocked. You can't fight fate. 

*Sapphire Richter*💜

I almost felt bad about pepper spraying Mr. Marino, but I was scared. My dad has made me paranoid. The mandatory self defense classes I had to take before coming here didn't make it any better. I'm on high alert every time I step outside.

An hour long conversation with my mom let me know it wasn't my fault. I should do what I need to in order to protect myself. She added that if I see Nico Marino again I should apologize. Which I don't plan on, but my mom gives the best advice. I hope that was my first and last time seeing him.