They Do Not Exist!

Start from the beginning

Looking around, there were other beings trapped inside this thing! Strange beings with the tail of a fish and the body of a human. I counted about three creatures, all asleep within, curled and holding onto their lacy tails as if they were blankets.

I tried to kick my legs to swim up to the glittery surface; but all that moved was a long slender silvery-blue tail with a wide caudal fin at its apex.

I was mortified as this thing was not only attached to me! It was now a part of me. Like the other mermaids surrounding me, I too was now a mermaid.

I rubbed my webbed, scaly hand down the length of my tail, feeling smooth silky slimy scales coated in silvery mucus. One of the sleeping mermaids then awakened as it slowly moved within its jelly cocoon, still tethered to the cocoon by a yolk-like sac.

She appears about nine years old, covered in scales with a long frilly set of gills covering her neck and the sides of her cheeks. Unlike the traditional mermaids of old, she contains not a shred of human flesh, only the form of a human: two arms, two hands, a torso, a chest, and a face that appears remotely human. She bites down on the fleshy tube attached to her naval with her sharp canines.

With the tube severed, blue blood seeped from the ends as she thrashes and twirls against the side of the membrane, using her fins like knives to slick at the cocoon. Soon, I watched the other mermaids awaken from their sleep, doing the same.

I floated there, stunned as I watched them, horrified.

'What are they?' I wondered as the girl that I have been observing breaks through the membrane, a surge of reddish-orange ammonic fluid escapes into the ocean as saltwater flushes in.

All the mercreatures, now freed of their umbilicus and cocoons, swam towards the opening of the cavern as the last mercreature stopped and glanced over at me.

She hesitates for just a moment as she studies me, perplexed. Swimming over, with a flick of her tail, she glides before me; gently touching the cocoon that I was within.

[Sister, come.] her telepathic voice floods my thoughts as I could understand her 'mermish'. She slices open the cocoon with her claws as she then offers her hand to me, saying [Come!]

[Who?] as I tried to speak to her [What are you? Where am I!? What happened to me!?] I bombarded her with a slew of questions as the feminine complexion of the little mermaid found me to be a mystery.

[You do not remember?] she says, finding it interesting. All newborns were born with the knowledge from their parents. Overwhelmed by knowledge and wisdom not of my own, I close my eyes as flashes of memories of places I think I have been to, play like a 3D movie in my brain. [Come.] she says again as I finally open my eyes and try to use my newly acquired appendage to swim to her.

I found myself tethered as I looked down at a fleshy cord connecting me to the membrane. The cord was attached to my naval as I felt a strange instinct overcome me. Instinctively, I bit the cord in half, freeing myself as together we swam to the exit.

Outside, on the submerged rocks, I felt as if my skin was coming apart as I wriggled out of a cocoon of my own flesh, and underneath it was a layer of new scales.

Looking ahead, I watched the other fish-girls swimming out to sea, going deeper, following the song that even I could hear with my own ears: