Chapter 17

Ashley

At eight Mr. Bleckbourne knocks on my door. He's dressed more casually than he usually is when we eat dinner, in a forest green sweater and a pair of jeans. There is also a shadow of a dark scruff lining his jaw making his eyes shine like a summer sky and his lips to look like soft dark pink clouds. I almost groan in frustration about his chipper and handsome face.

"It is way too early on a Saturday morning to look so fresh and cheerful." I mutter as I exit my room and walk down the corridor to the elevator without waiting for Mr. Bleckbourne. I am not a morning person so I would prefer to have my sleep in on my free day.

Mr. Bleckbourne's dark chuckle hunts after me and makes my weekend tired body spring to life in ways I would have preferred it to keep sleeping. I frown at the closed door of the elevator as I wait for it to reach us when the warm breath of Mr. Bleckbourne tickles the side of my neck.

"I see that you're not a morning person." Goosebumps spring up all over my body and my core clenches with need.

"On the weekends I prefer the bed." My voice is low, husky and breathless and when Mr. Bleckbourne hums in agreement I almost moan.

"I like to lie in as well. At least if the company is right." His hand brushes lightly against my arm as he reaches forward to press the button to call the elevator. I stare in shock and embarrassment at the button that I totally forgot to press. On the way back to his side his hand strokes down my arm from elbow to my hand.

"Wouldn't you agree that company is much more enjoyable than being alone?" He steps closer until his front lightly touches my back and I shiver. Then I wake up with a start and jerk away from him.

"I wouldn't know. I have never had company in bed." I say in a cheeky and defiant tone, trying to sound confident and perfectly at ease. When I turn to look at him I see the triumph and hunger in his eyes and I realize what I just confessed.

"I mean. I like my space. I don't like anyone to close when I sleep." My face is burning and I rush through the door to the elevator as it opens up to let us in. Mr. Bleckbourne follows with a satisfied smirk on his handsome face and I want to kick him.

We were silent the rest of the way to our seats at the hightable in the dining hall. I think I heard him sniff the air of the elevator a few times, but it must have been my imagination. I sniffed myself discreetly just to make sure I didn't smell funny.

I go to take my usual seat, which is opposite of Mr. Bleckbourne and would land me next to Finn who's already sitting at the table. He greets me with a large smile and a flirty wink. Mr. Bleckbourne takes hold of my arm and leads me to the seat next to him instead. I glance at him with a furrowed brow but he acts like nothing is out of the ordinary. When I look at Finn he has a knowing smirk on his lips.

"Did you have a good night's sleep, Miss Simmons? No wolves hunting you in your dreams?" I laugh and shake my head.

"No. I was perfectly safe from any wolf."

"I'm not entirely sure of that." He winks at me again and I see Mr. Bleckbourne glare at him in my peripheral vision. We are disturbed from further conversation as Sawyer comes over with a woman carrying a toddler.

"Good morning, Mayor, Finn, Miss Simmons." Sawyer bows his head at all three of us as he greets us individually. The woman does the same but with a much deeper bow than Sawyer.

"This is my, um, my wife, Nora." I stand up to reach out my hand to greet her but her eyes flash with sudden uncomfort and fear and darts over to Mr. Bleckbourne. I grow uncomfortable as she bows her head again at me and refuses to take my hand.

This is the first time another person has bowed their head like this for me here in town. I see them doing it towards someone with higher status, as I have been told is important here, but I have never been considered to be of higher status before.

"Um. You can call me Ashley." I send them an embarrassed smile but Nora shakes her head.

"I can not do that, Miss Simmons." Her eyes dart to Mr. Bleckbourne again and when I glance at him his face is stoic and formal. There is no trace of anger but not of joy either, no warmth as he gazes at Nora.

"Oh-kay." I say, dragging out the word while glancing back and forth between everyone at the table. Neither Sawyer or Nora makes a move to sit down, though Sawyer brought a child chair with him. I shift from foot to foot, not understanding the tense and strange atmosphere.

Finn clears his throat and I glance at him. He gives me a pointed look to sit down and I hurriedly do that. It's like pressing the play button as Sawyer places Harry in the high chair and they take their seats with the toddler between them.

"I am very happy to finally meet you, Miss Simmons." Nora's cheerful voice drags me from my confused thoughts. "Sawyer told me so much good after he helped with your move here. I hope you have settled in nicely?" She speaks with a very respectful and formal voice, though I can hear excited curiosity mixed in.

"Don't overwhelm her, my love." Sawyer chaisties lovingly and Nora's cheeks darken with a blush.

"I'm sorry, Miss Simmons. I am just very excited over your presence here." I give her a strained and confused smile. Everything is so strange with how Nora acts as if I would be some kind of almost royalty.

"It's okay. I find the town very picturesque and the people are very nice. And I really like my job, even though I've only been working for three days. Who is this gorgeous boy?" I ask and give the toddler a wave and a large smile.

"Oh. This is Harry, mine and Sawyer's youngest. He's two so I don't like to leave him with a sitter so I am allowed to bring him along to eat at our table." She turns slightly in her seat and points to a table close to the scene. "Those four are ours as well."

Four boys from the age of around four to the early teens wave back when she sends them a wave. It's easy to see that they are the sons of Sawyer. All of them have the same heavy brow and rounded nose as their father.

"You have your work cut out for you with five boys. It can't be much of a silent moment in your house." I say with a light chuckle and Sawyer joins in.

"You're right about that. There's always something missing, or someone has looked the wrong way on the other, but at the same time they are great brothers to each other. Do you have any siblings?" I feel a slight pang of pain at thoughts of my own wishes of having siblings hits me. It has been quite lonely to grow up as a single child when locked up in a house forbidden to leave without my father.

"No. My mother never wanted to have any more after me. Something about having a hard pregnancy I think. But I always wished for a little brother or sister."

We change the subject and the tension and uncomfort slowly eases. Before I am ready everyone is done. Mr. Bleckbourne is the first to stand and he reaches out a hand for me to take and rise as well.

"Oh. I was thinking I could sit-"

"Come Miss Simmons. We are taking a walk." Mr. Bleckbourne cuts me off and I grit my teeth in irritation.

"Maybe I don't-"

"Now, Miss Simmons." Nora shifts uncomfortably in her seat and both Sawyer and Finn keep their eyes averted. With a frustrated sigh I take Mr. Bleckbourne's hand and he helps me up.

"Bye." I wave at them as he leads me away from the table. Little Harry is the only one who answers with a large wave and a bubbly 'bye'.

***

A strange and tense breakfast to start the day. Isn't that what everyone needs?

Please leave a vote and a comment!