Chapter 6

Ashley

As I step out of the elevator on the fifth floor I see Mr. Bleckbourne already standing outside my door with his fist raised, ready to knock.

So no shower for me, I guess.

"Oh. Hi Mr. Bleckbourne." I call out and he looks towards me with a frown. "I was just on my way to change into something nicer before dinner." His eyes skim down my body, like I've seen him do on several occasions now, and it ignites a slow burning fire in the pit of my stomach.

When they finally make their way up to my face again I see a glimpse of appreciation and hunger in them. A shiver works its way down my spine and nestles between my thighs but I do my best to ignore it.

"There is no need for you to change. You look beautiful as you are. Unless you desperately want to." I feel a blush spread over my cheeks but do my best to act indifferent.

Instead I make a point by visibly looking down his body and up again with an eyebrow raised and an amused smirk on my lips. Mr. Bleckbourne is dressed in a pair of black slacks, light blue button up and a matching black blazer. He looks down at himself then up at me with a nonchalant shrug.

"Yeah. I think it would be nice to at least wear something other than this old t-shirt and jeans when you are so smartly dressed." I open my door and enter while calling over my shoulder to him. "You can wait inside if you want."

I hear him stepping inside and close the door behind him. And then a strange sound reaches my ear. It sounds like a growl. Not a growl that a human can produce, but a real growl, like from a beast. I whip around with a gasp but there is only Mr. Bleckbourne there.

"What was that sound?"

"It's an old house. Perhaps it was the air condition or something." He smiles innocently, but the explanation sounds off and the answer comes a bit too quick. I have never heard of growling houses before. But I shrug and turn back to the master bedroom to collect something more fitting for dinner.

"You know Miss Simmons. It's not wise to invite strangers into your room this easily." I hear him call from the living room and when I emerge from the bedroom holding a green dress, that I think I look pretty in, I give him a teasing smile. He's standing with his feet wide apart and his arms crossed over his chest, his face set in a stern expression.

"Is it not wise to invite you, you mean?" He frowns at my cheeky answer to his warning and I have to bite my lip to not burst out laughing.

"No. Inviting me is okay. But a lesser male would certainly exploit your trusting nature." That makes me snort. He's so full of himself.

"I am lucky that you are one of the greater males then." I hear another low growl as I head into the bathroom to change and freshen up real quickly.

I wonder what it could be?

I freshen up my mascara and put on some light makeup, lip gloss and spray some perfume to hide the guck from this day. Then I drag a brush through my impossible hair before looking at myself in the mirror. I have to admit I look pretty good.

The dress hugs my form in all the right places and the neckline is low enough to show some cleavage but not too much. The skirt falls loosely from my hip down to my knees and the green color makes my eyes shine even greener. When I step out of the bathroom Mr. Bleckbourne's eyes take me in once again, and the now familiar shiver goes down my spine, once again.

"You look amazing." His face is straight and stoic as he speaks, but his voice is slightly breathless. I feel my face burn bright from my blush. How can he say stuff like that with a straight face?

"Thank you." I clutch my hands in front of me and shift uncomfortably from foot to foot while his eyes roam my body again, before he catches himself. He clears his throat and actually looks embarrassed as he gives me a smile.

"Let's go down to eat some dinner then." He reaches out his arm for me to take and for a second I contemplate rejecting it. But then I figured it would be rude. Mr. Bleckbourne is only trying to be a gentleman. With a shaky smile I take his arm and he leads me to the elevator and then to the dining hall, which is bustling with life and the sound of people eating.

The second we step inside all conversation dies down. At first everyone respectfully bow their head at Mr. Bleckbourne. It is a strange greeting, especially when a whole room of adults and children do it as one.

Me and Mr. Bleckbourne stands still in the entrance for a beat and I feel uncomfortable from all the attention aimed at me. When I try to step back Mr. Bleckbourne tugs on my arm to indicate that I am not allowed to hide. It's almost as if he's showing me off to everyone's curious eyes. When I look up at him he is standing with his back proudly straight and eyes self assured. After what feels like too long he finally leads me over to the buffet.

As we walk I see people straining their necks to look in our direction and whispers flow through the air, to light for me to hear but clear enough for me to guess. I try to pull my hand from Mr. Bleckbourne's arm but this time he places his other hand on top of mine.

"Mr. Bleckbourne." I whisper-scream at him when he refuses to let me go. "Everyone is looking." I tug a few times but he gives my hand a firm squeeze in warning, firm enough to actually hurt slightly. I stop my struggles to avoid embarrassing myself further and to make him ease his hold.

"Of course they are. You are new meat here, and beautiful as well. What did you think would happen?" He stretches his back proudly with his head held high and a satisfied smirk on his lips. I want to slap that irritating and frustratedly sexy smirk off his lips.

***

Mr. Bleckbourne is prancing around with Ashley on his arm like she is some sort of price. I wonder what that is about? And it is really strange how all the other inhabitants of the town bow their heads and let their Mayor cut in line. It seems like Ashley will have a whole lot of mystery to deal with in this quaint little town.

Please leave a vote and a comment!