Chapter 12

Ashley

In the dining hall we receive the same treatment as the night before. We cut in line and then sit at the table on the stage. He questions me about my studies and my plans for the future and I am happy that he keeps the conversation going 'cus I can't seem to focus on anything. My thoughts keep on drifting back to the situation outside my door constantly.

When we are done with our meal my eyes keep drifting off to the large clock on the wall. I promised Ed to walk him home at eight but Mr. Bleckbourne doesn't seem to be in a hurry to end our dinner.

"Is there somewhere you need to be, Miss Simmons?" I snap my eyes back to Mr. Bleckbourne from the clock. The smile on his lips is strained and again I see the beginning of anger in his eyes. "You keep looking at the clock like you have prior commitments."

"Um, yeah. I promised Ed to walk him back home after dinner and then I need to study."

"Will it be a problem for you to work with the boy?" I scrunch up my eyebrows and frown at Mr. Bleckbourne.

"No. We get along very well-"

"You seem to have gotten very close in this short time." I want to snap at him for interrupting me.

"Yes. As I said, we get along very well. And he needs a friend and grown up to help, guide and take care of him. It is obvious he is a victim of neglect from his stepfather and bullying and abuse from the kids at school." My tone is sharp as I speak back and he narrows his eyes at me.

"Your job is to take care of him in school."

"I will take care of him after school as much as I will help him with school. He needs an adult to lean on and guide him. His stepfather seems to not give a damn!" Mr. Bleckbourne's eyes flash with anger and this time I know that the growl comes from deep within his chest. It vibrates through me and I barely manage to keep my shocked gasp to myself.

"Do not speak of things you do not know of or understand." I narrow my eyes at him, anger overwriting the slight fear I feel.

"I understand perfectly well that the boy is neglected. His stepfather might not abuse him but neglect is just as bad. Ed is too young and inexperienced to take care of himself." Me and Mr. Bleckbourne glare at each other for a few moments but I refuse to back down. If I want to care for Ed I will and this stranger in front of me can't stop me.

"I can see that you burn to help the boy." Mr. Bleckbourne gives in first with a deep sigh and for a second I am caught off guard. But his softness clears up quickly again as he continues. "I will not stop you from taking care of the boy. But you have to take responsibility for your studies as well." I smile and feel my anger melt away.

"Of course, Mr. Bleckbourne. May I be excused?"

"I will walk you and Edward to his home and back." He rises from his chair and my chest deflates. I had hoped to be released from his intense presence.

"Oh. You don't have to do that."

"I don't want you to lose your way on the way back." He smirks and his beautiful blue eyes dance with amusement.

"I won't-" I start but then decide it's stupid to fight about this. "But thank you. It would be nice if you would walk with us." It's not how I really feel. I would love it if Mr. Bleckbourne lost his interest in getting to know me and left me to my own devices. I guess I will have to tolerate his attention for a while longer.

Ed is still sitting by his table in the corner when I come to find him. I smile down at him and he smiles back until he notices Mr. Bleckbourne behind me. He quickly bows his head and keeps his eyes down.