Chapter 8 - A Bald Guy and A Promise

Fantôme was eating a quiet breakfast with the love of his life when it was rudely interrupted by a young, short, bald guy wearing a business suit.

The day had begun like all others do; Dalia woke Fantôme up at the crack of dawn, he brushed his teeth, he put on his armor, they went to breakfast, the usual. But a fifteen-year-old boy pushing five feet tall was not a part of that routine.

At least, he looked like a boy. Fantôme actually wasn't sure, but he didn't get a chance to ask.

"So! I hear you're the one that called the fire yesterday!" The words took several seconds to register, and when they did, he only managed a shrug and a mumbled reply.

Dalia put her hand on Fantôme's arm. "What's it to you?" Her silvery voice a contrast to the plummy words.

The... person... gave her an aghast stare. "What's it to me?! I got shipped here in the middle of the night specifically to talk to this guy," he flicked a gloved hand towards Fantôme.

Dalia started to speak up again, but Fantôme shook his head slightly, armor clinking, and she fell silent, though the corners of her mouth twisted into a tiny smirk.

"I'm the one that called the fire, yes, but why did you get... 'shipped' here because of it?"

The guy hesitated and seemed to rethink whatever he had originally planned to say. "Well... my commander wanted me to get a full report straight from you. I don't think he actually trusts Ashton to get anything done, so he sent me!" He stuck out his hand to Fantôme, who warily shook it. "I'm Mickie, but you can call me Mickie."

"Uh. Okay." The soldier swiftly withdrew his hand and discreetly wiped it on the table cloth. Dalia hid a snort with a cough. Mickie ignored her and started interrogating Fantôme about the village, all while transcribing every detail as if his life depended on it. Honestly? It probably did. Jay was never very forgiving about that kind of thing.

Finally, Mickie snapped the notepad shut and stuck his pen behind his ear. "That should be all I need right now, but I'll send it in and see if there's anything else!" He rewarded Fantôme with a grin and an awkward clap on the shoulder before disappearing around a corner.

Dalia released a long, heavy sigh as all the tension evaporated from her body. She rested her head on Fantôme's shoulder and took one of his hands into both of hers, gently uncurling his clenched fist.

They sat in silence for several minutes before Dalia broke it.

"You need anything?"

Fantôme shook his head, which seemed to reanimate the rest of his body. He stood, carefully dislodging her. Dalia got up as well and re-enclosed one of his hands in hers.

She tenderly led him to the atrium, which was a large cavern that someone had drilled a hole into and filled with plants. Because that makes sense for a secret base, am I right or am I right?

The floor extended out a couple meters before it fell away into a pool of water that reflected the sun's golden light, which danced with the ripples on the surface.

The pair sat down on said edge with their legs hanging over precariously, leaning against each other.

"I wonder who his commander is," Fantôme brooded.

Dalia sighed and lifted a shoulder. "I don't know. Not Ashton, obviously."

"Yeah."

She considered that for a moment and frowned. "Now that I think about it... I actually don't know any of the other commanders."

"Oh." Fantôme counted out on his fingers. "Well, in North and South America, there's Mento, Jay, William, Nina, Borise, and someone else that I can't remember the name of."

"Mmm, Mento," Dalia snickered.

Fantôme chuckled. "The guy really likes mentos, I guess."

Dalia adjusted his hands so one of hers was clasped between them. "Have you ever been... worried?"

"About what?"

"Not coming back."

He took the time to carefully think it over. "No," he admitted finally.

"Why not?" Her voice was barely audible.

"Because I'll always come home to you. Nothing could keep me away." He shifted so his arms were wrapped around her. The armor must be uncomfortable for both of them, but what do I know? Maybe it's the sentiment that counts.

"Promise me something?" Fantôme could practically hear her smile.

"Anything."

"Never stop coming back, okay? I don't know what I'd do without you."

Fantôme abruptly stood, dragging her up with him, so they stood face to face. "Dalia," he gripped her delicate hands in his own, "I swear on all the stars that I will always come back. No matter what it takes, no matter what it costs. Okay? And even when I'm gone physically, I'll always be right here," he pressed their hands against Dalia's chest, right over her heart.

There were tears in her eyes. "The same goes for me," she breathed.

They enveloped each other in an embrace and Fantôme murmured the three little words that are the cause of so much pain and heartbreak, but always manage to mean something more.

Can't imagine anything going wrong, can you?