Chapter 6 - A Gift

"Alex."

The word cut through my consciousness.

"Alex!"

Fuck, that's me.

I cracked an eye open to see a familiar face a few inches away.

"Alex, come on! Jay wants to see us, said it's an emergency."

I pushed myself into a sitting position against my well-loved pillow and rubbed the heels of my hands against my eyes, trying to make the fuzziness disappear.

"Put your glasses on. That'll help." John grabbed them from the floor next to my cot and pulled my hands away, pushing the glasses onto my face.

"Where's Robin," I grumbled sluggishly as I shoved the yellow lenses farther up my nose and pulled a random pair of gloves on.

"Already left. We figured you might still be a little angry and that it'd be better to keep some distance until you've properly woken up."

I dragged out a sigh and gave my head a small shake. "No, I'm not angry. Last night was just a lot, I'm sorry."

John shrugged, "tell that to Robin. Anyway, let's go." He straightened from his crouch and pulled me up next to him. The edges of my vision went white and I stumbled back, finding the wall to lean against.

John waited patiently for my sight to clear and the ringing in my ears to stop. When it finally did, he took the lead through the narrow halls to a metal door. Jay's office.

Robin was seated across from Jay, the two of them talking quietly. When they saw us, they immediately shut up. Robin stood, pulling a small square parcel from their pocket. They thrust it out to me and I took it slowly, assessing their expression.

"I'm sorry."

Robin visibly relaxed and released the breath that they'd probably been holding. "It's okay, I'm sorry I asked about... y'know. I trust you, and if you trust them, then so do I."

I nodded as Jay cleared his throat. "As much as I enjoy apologies, there is something I must discuss with you. Urgently." They abruptly pushed back from their desk and stood, stepping towards the screen suspended from the ceiling in the corner of the room.

He brushed his fingers across the screen and hit a few buttons. A video started playing. The sound was slightly garbled but still decipherable.

It was a recording of the president. Jay wasn't paying attention to it. Rather, he was watching their reactions. He's already seen it. How long ago and why didn't he tell us sooner if it's this important?

I pushed those thoughts momentarily to the back of my mind and listened to the speech.

By the end of it, I was practically giggling like one of those schoolgirls with too-short shorts and too much makeup from when my mom was a kid. "This- this bitch is spitting straight shit!" I exclaimed when it stopped. "Trial? Hooligans? Are you kidding me? I thought the guy was stupid, but seriously?"

John's hand shot out to my shoulder as my legs went rubbery and I stumbled, still cackling.

"Alex, control yourself." Jay's tone felt like a dagger.

I immediately shut up and cleared my throat. "Sorry, sir."

Jay rubbed their temples, squeezing their eyes shut. "This recording isn't all, and I hoped you would take it seriously, but since you can't, I'd like you to leave if you think any of this is funny."

I dropped my chin to my chest and didn't say anything.

"Good." They turned the screen off and sat down, leaning their elbows on the desk's pristine wooden surface.