chapter 1: welcome home

Fresh smell of street kachoris filled my nostrils. And it only meant that I was back home. Though I'm not a really a fan of kachoris, it felt so good. After 5 years. Or to be more specific 5 and a half years, I was finally back home. it was a bittersweet moment. as much as I wanted to stay away from this place, this place always felt like home. a home that never was mine. I waited for 10 minutes and finally saw a figure that looked much like my brother walking towards me, with a warm smile plastered on his face. Gosh, the way I missed this idiot. Kiaan bhaiya, walks to me, taking me into a warm hug. One thing for my brother was he gave the best hugs.

"How are you?" he asked and took my bags from me. "I'm completely great" I answered. Wasn't sure if it was right though.

He chuckled. "definitely". He put the bags in the car and we both at in front.

"So, who's the one?" I teased.

"What do you mean?" he asked. as if he isn't getting engaged a month later.

"What do you think I mean?" I questioned back. his ears went red and I can see the way blood rushed to his cheeks. He glared at me but didn't answer my question. I didn't ask further either. There was this awkward silence for 5 minutes until he finally decided to open his mouth.

"Her name is Zara and she's a civ-"

"a civil engineer. Yes I know that. that's the only thing you told me when I asked about her for the first time. I'm asking for other details. Like anything else other than her name and her profession." I cut him off. well, I aint that bad of a sister who doesn't know about her brother's fiancé.

"she is the only daughter of her parents. Her parents run a family business in Singapore. She studied in Singapore but wanted to work here. we both met in Bombay, in the college. We were the academic rivals to be honest" he let out. academic rivals? Wow that's some fictional book story.

"but slowly when we came together for various assignments and events, she understood me so well. I knew she was the one and I didn't even think twice and within a year of dating I proposed her to marry me. And after that one decision, everything went right. Her parents agreed. Maa and Paa agreed." He said, a smile on his face. Assignments ne bana di jodi. 

"well you didn't ask for my permission. You just informed me" I teased. He knows I will never have another opinion about his choice. But at-least he should've asked me too right? He looks at me puzzled. "when was the last time we actually had a proper conversation, meera?" he asked. Or taunted. I don't know what it was. And it was true, I was so busy with exams and everything, that I barely called my family. but isn't that what I went to London for? To be busy and distracted. 

Or to be away from this place?

"okay fine, I'm sorry I was busy studying for a degree that is gonna make my career" I said and went silent. Another 5 minutes of silence until he cleared his throat.

"Do you have a boyfriend?" he asked, he wasn't serious, was he? I chocked on air and he passed me the water bottle. Well, he could've asked me about how my life was there? How studies were going? What I'll do further? But instead of all these, this idiot asks me If I got a boyfriend?

"maybe yes, maybe no. why do you care?" I teased. I didn't have a boyfriend I just wanted to see his reaction. Brothers can be really overprotective I'm telling you.

"what does that mean? Can't you give a straight answer?" He spoke loudly. yup, just what I expected.

"Calm down, dude. Of-course I don't have a boyfriend. I mean who'll want to date me?" I said. I had two boyfriends. My first one was my batchmate, who thought I was really cute but he said I had to work on myself. Second one just wanted to hook up, so when I figured that out after 3 dates, I broke up. Kiaan just hummed. In 10 minutes we reached home. I could my see grandma standing out there with a warm smile. she was the second person I loved after Kiaan bhaiya.

I got down, ran and gave her a hug. Nothing compares against my love for her.

"inni patli hogyi hai meri bacchi! Khaana nahi khati thik se?" she inquired. I don't think I believe her. She only said that to make me feel better but I knew the truth behind those words. there was a tension around until Kiaan came to action.

"dadi, aaram se khilaye isse abhi. Pehle use fresh toh hone do. Maharani London se aayi hai" he said. I looked up at him and mouthed him a thank you. We went in and found grandpa talking to the maids. He looked at me and smiled. I hugged him. He patted my head and said "mera bacchi kitne dino ke baad aayi hai! Shyam, mithai layo bhai!" he ordered, the worker. He just wanted a excuse to eat sweets that's all.

"no dadu, no sweets." I said sternly. He gave a pout and said "why are you and your grandmother behind this old man? Let me enjoy na!" dadi and I exchanged looks and glared at him. soon we all burst into fits of laughter.

"Maa kaha hai?" I asked. I knew the answer. But just for some reassurance. Their faces fell.

"beta, tujhe toh pata hain na, maa kaam mein busy rehti hai. Mene uske PA ko call kar bata diya hai ke tu aa gayi hai" dadi explained. What did I even expect? I just forced a smile and went to my room. Can't she just come to greet her daughter who came after 5 years? Was her work more important? Did I really hope that after these years she'll change?

I freshened up and went down for breakfast. Maid was already serving the aloo ke parathe. Again, nothing comes in between of me and aloo ke parathe. I,  aloo-ke-parathe-monster, jumped in and tore a piece of hot paratha and ate it. hayeeeee, if someone would gave me aloo ke paratha for coming home, I would definitely come.

"beta aaram se, koi chin nahi lega tere parathe. Sunita aur bhi bana rhi hai" dadi chuckled and shook her head. She must be wondering what sort of monster her grand-daughter is?

"Haan aur khilayo aur moti banao usse" a cold voice from behind spoke. Yea, just how I wanted to be welcomed in my house after 5 years. Lovely welcome.

"Shivani." Dadu called out, sternly. It's not like she cares either way.

"kya papa? Sach hi toh keh rhi hun." Mom said and stood in her place, folding her arms to her chest. i kept eating, not even sparing her a glance. 

"Shivani, bacchi 5 saal ke baad aayi, usse thoda shanti se khaane de" dadi said. Shanti? I will have? What a joke

"5 saal mein ek bhi call aaya tha mujhe mummy ji? Aapko, papa ko, kiaan ko chodke kise call kiya isne? And if she kept getting this fat, who'll marry her?" mom taunted. I didn't even glance once at her and pushed my plate forward and stood up. this was it. I washed my hands, dried it and went up. I ignored all the voices in the hall and just locked the door and fell on my bed. Like I always did.  

So, finally I was home. 

𝘖𝘳 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘐?

Okay this was the first chapter! Let me know how it was!