|| 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟕

we're officially at 2k readddsss y'all. That's so crazy to me istg.
! trigger warning, proceed with care !

11th October 2007

11th October 2007. Port Venston

The small police headquarters of Port Venston was unusually busy. Cars lined the streets, their flashing lights competing with the rising sun. The Illinoise people were alien to the neighborhood, a small group of men and women in suits and slacks, coffee still in hand and sunglasses on their noses. They checked the streets and murmured among themselves. This little hangout place was a real downgrade from their office in Chicago.

 "Let's go in, we don't got no time to waste," one said and gave a hand signal, whereupon they all picked up their suitcases and followed.

The tension in the air was unmistakable as they entered the police "headquarters". 

It took Mitchell no more than two minutes to sprint out of his office (which was more than a medium-fast walk) and greet the new arrivals. 

"And you are?" The captain eyed the taller man, clearly not amused by the outsider's presence.

He held out his hand. "Special Agent Brown, Zion Brown." He nodded his head to his side. "This is my team." His tall figure towered over the officers standing around him. His cornrows were tied into a small bun at the nape of his neck, completing his sharp look. 

The police officers on the scene stopped in their tracks to get a not-so-sneaky look at him. Nothing he wasn't used to, because the white people here had a problem with staring. He brushed a non-existent wrinkle out of his navy blue suit.

"I thought we were getting a profiler to back us up... not you." Captain Mitchell barked, his voice full of hostility.

Brown's face didn't move as he replied. "And now there are four of us here, plus the rest of my team. Any issues, sir?"

When met with petty silence, he continued. "You've been working a missing persons case for weeks and it seems your incompetence has gotten you nowhere." Brown looked the captain in the eye. A small smile formed on his lips. "But I assure you, sir, I will not rest until I find the person responsible for the disappearance."

The captain clenched his jaw, for Brown's audacity hurt his pride. But deep down, he knew that their efforts so far had been in vain. 

Reluctantly, he led Zion into his cluttered office, away from prying eyes.

—¡! • !¡ —

As the door closed behind them, Mitchell offered the guest the seat in front of his desk. They settled into the cramped space.

Brown noticed a pile of dusty boxes on one side of the room. Mitchell followed his gaze and laughed sheepishly. "That's our archive. We don't have enough room anywhere else."