Chapter 6 Talk

Skyler watched as Savannah walked up the stairs in Adam's arms. She looked at her hands, Skyler wasn't sure what to say about today, she was so scared, she had never felt that before. She had that long stare that Maverick knew too well, Adam got it sometimes when thinking about things either way too hard or was thrown back into the past.

"Sky," Maverick watched her. She didn't answer still in a trance, Adam had walked back into the room after a little, seeing that Skyler was doing the thousand yard stare, he walked over to her and squatted down in front of her.

"Skyler," he said softly. Skyler looked at him, tears falling from her face, Adam watched her for a moment.

"I can't give her up," she said softly. Adam knew this was an issue for Skyler, but he had been thinking about that too, and until the guy in Montana was caught he didn't want her going back to Montana anyway.

"Why don't you stay then? You can live here if you want too, but there are rules you would have to follow just like everyone living under my roof."

"Maverick offered," She said softly, "I just, I don't know, the house is a family house I just can't give it up. It's the second thing I cannot let go."

"Don't you have family in Montana?" Colton asked and got a slap upside the head from Elijah telling him to hush and not to speak.

"Savannah is all that is left of my family," Skyler told him, "I don't understand why my sister decided to take her away from me. I don't know you guys at all."

"True," Adam said, "and honestly, we were looking for her since Dad had said something about it before he passed, so I was happy when you called. It was taking a long time. Though it wasn't until my investigator told me that you raised Savannah for the last two years while Grace was in war."

"Why do you care, you barely know her."

"It doesn't matter if I barely know her. She is family, I don't need to know any more than that," Adam said, "That being said, Skyler you are family as well being related to Savannah, honestly, even if you were Grace's best friend you raised her so that will make you family in my book any day."

"Okay," Skyler looked at him, "so what are you wanting from me then?"

"I want you to stay here, if that is what you will do. If you don't want to stay in the house, we can find something more suitable in the area and help you move and whatever you need."

"That is a big request."

Adam nodded his head, "Stay until the end of the summer and decide then, get your truck fixed up, learn about us, trust us, if you can't stay then you can't, but know you are always welcome here, and Savannah is always welcome to get to go see you when she isn't in school of course."

"What about work?"

"Do you think you can get your license to work here? Also, I can pay you to work at the ranch as a vet for until the end of summer at least. What are you making in Montana?"

"About 35 an hour," she said, "Being entry level I don't make much, but I am good at what I do."

"Alright then, starting tomorrow you are haired."

"I can't give you animals medication without my license though," she said quickly,

"And I am all about rules, so let's start by getting your license in Texas before you start prescribing meds, but you can start working for me, Mav?"

"I can contact our lawyers and get a contract started, so that you have taxes and stuff to file at the end of the year."

"Why are you doing this for me?"