Chapter 5: Lost

Savannah had slipped and her tooth came out. She picked it up and held onto it as she ran back to the house. Not able to quickly find her Aunt, she ran into the house kicking off her boots and ran straight to Adam's office. He looked up and paused, taking all of the muddy little girl into his sights. Her hair was wet, her jeans had mud on it along with the front of her shirt. Savannah had a huge grin on her face.

"What have you gotten into?" Adam asked. Seeing a little bit of Everett in her at this moment missing that he was growing up so fast.

"I found a mud puddle in the garden, and fell down," She shrugged and ran over to him, holding up a little rock he thought "but look my tooth came out."

"Seems the tooth fairy is coming to visit tonight, isn't she?"

"Really, yeah," Savannah knew the fairy doesn't really exist but she got free money so she will continue to play along to get that. Savvy Funds need help anyway if she was going to get her Auntie a new truck.

"Did you track mud into the house, Savvy?" Adam asked and looked at her smiling. Savannah made a face knowing where this was going. Then tried to put on the charm and gave him a sweet smile shrugging a little.

"Just a little," She said sweetly, and he chuckled.

"Come on. I'll help you clean it up then you can continue to play for a bit. I have a few things I have to complete before I go and get your brother,"

"Which one? Can I go?"

"Everett and I don't think this time. But next time he is in a bit of trouble at school at the moment,"

"Is it the detention? What is that anyway?"

"It's when you have to stay at school longer when you get into some trouble, but not it's not that one. He got into a fight, so he is in big trouble at the moment,"

"What was the fight about?"

"Doesn't really matter. Fighting is against the rules, they have a zero-tolerance for it so the school will have to punish him. However, depending on the fight will determine if he is in trouble with me,"

"Auntie says if it's self-defense then I don't get in trouble to her,"

"And you won't with me, but they have to throw the first punch, without you taunting them,"

"Is Everett hurt?"
"I wasn't called to go to the hospital or told he was, so I am sure he is fine,"
Savannah felt bad for her brother, and she didn't know him all too well. She has seen photos of people around the house but she doesn't have names for most of them. She knew Adam, Mav and Lijah but that was it. Adam stood up and put her tooth into a baggie and then had to sweep and mop the kitchen with Savannah's help.
"Oh, looks like Duke is back,"
"Who?"
"Our cattle dog went with Mark to the woods where you girls crashed last night."
Savannah looked at the dog thinking of a large white dog like Hank back in Montana and he was nothing but a small little thing. She missed the gradian dog, who was an old fella, but he was a sweetheart.
"Duke come say Hi to Savvy,"
The dog ran over wagging his tail fast. Savannah smiled, petting his wet fur. He smelled like a wet dog. Adam didn't want him inside just yet. As she played, Savannah looked at the forest walking towards it, trying to be sneaky. Adam had gone back inside to work on a few things. She didn't want to go far, but still she wanted to see something. There was a treehouse near the house so it wasn't far since she could see it.

She walked into the forest and hurried to the tree house, Duke following her and playing. She grabbed a stick and threw it, and he gave chase. She smiled, that was fun. She decided to keep walking, picking up another stick and throwing it for Duke to chase.