Page 20 (chapter final)

It was a chilling night, the dimly lit hallway adding to the eerie atmosphere as Jake's voice pierced through the silence with concern. "It's three am, and you woke up from a night terror screaming," he stated, his eyes locking onto mine as he placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. Despite his genuine worry, I dismissed his inquiries, lost in the chaos of my thoughts. Could I have ever purposefully harmed Johnnie? The night cast a shadow over my mind as I made a hasty promise to Jake to reveal everything the next morning.

As I struggled to recount the disturbing events of my nightmare, a sense of urgency gripped me. "There was a shadow hovering over me," I finally divulged to Jake, noting the gravity in his widened eyes. His prompt questions about the shadow's intentions and words only intensified my unease. "It spoke to me, urging me to commit dark deeds," I confessed, the weight of the words hanging heavily between us.

To my confusion, Jake's face registered a mix of puzzled concern. "Like what?" he probed, attempting to unravel the cryptic messages of my dream. Reluctantly, I disclosed a fragment of the shadow's cryptic message. "It claimed I was the 6th and had a choice to make," I revealed, grappling with the significance of those sinister words. Sensing Jake withholding information, I deliberated on whether to share one more crucial detail. "Lily," I finally murmured, the weight of the revelation heavy in the air.

Upon hearing the name, Jake's expression shifted, morphing into a familiar blend of concern and disbelief. With a solemn gaze, he broached the subject that had hung between us. "It instructed you to kill Johnnie," he voiced, the gravity of those words echoing in the stillness of the dimly lit hallway.

As the loud crash reverberated through my bedroom, a sinking feeling settled in the pit of my stomach. The realization dawned on me that we had inadvertently abandoned him in the room with the malevolent demon that harbored murderous intentions towards him. Acting quickly, I pressed my hand firmly against the table, channeling every ounce of strength within me. To my astonishment, my hand began to contort, mirroring the shape of a demon's hand, a transformation that soon engulfed my entire being. Jake, utterly taken aback by this newfound ability, quipped sarcastically, "New trick?" With a sense of urgency, we hastened into the room, only to find Johnie perched at the edge of the bed. His admiring gaze fixated on my demon-induced attire, as he complimented, "Woah, you look hot." Jake, unimpressed, interjected, "Seriously, eyes up, bro." A chuckle emanated from the shadows, unveiling a hauntingly familiar voice that reverberated around me. "Yes, the sixth; you can control it," the voice hissed, its sinister undertones sending shivers down my spine. "Beelzebub will be very pleased." Dismayed, I called out into the eerie silence, "Who are you?" Confusion clouded Jake and Johnie's expressions, prompting Johnie to question, "What are you talking about?" Jake's sudden aggression caught us off guard as he swiftly silenced Johnie and forcibly escorted him out of the room and down the stairs. "If you won't intervene, I will," Jake declared as he dragged Johnie to the kitchen island, flinging him harshly onto its surface. Distressed, Johnie pleaded, "Jake, what the hell are you doing?" Realization dawned on me as I observed Jake's unnerving transformation—his eyes vacant, the veins beneath them eerily nonexistent. "That's not Jake anymore," I asserted, the realization dawning that an unwelcome entity had taken possession of his form. The uninvited creature grinned malevolently, its distorted smile morphing Jake's features into an unsettling visage.

As Jake's hand stretched out and I was sent flying across the room, slamming into the wall, I couldn't help but call out, "dick move," as I stood up, ready to face whatever was happening. In that moment, Jake's eyes reverted to a deep, sinister black, his veins bulging on his face as he struggled to speak. "Cast it out," he managed to force out, his voice barely a whisper. "You have the power; you are Lucifer's daughter, and all demons must obey you."

Despite my initial shock, I found a steely resolve within me. "Get out," I yelled desperately, hoping to banish the unwelcome presence haunting us. But the creature, taunting and dismissive, laughed at my human frailty. In response, I closed my eyes, embracing a rush of liberation that surged through me, lifting me slightly off the ground, much to the astonishment of Johnie, who watched wide-eyed.

"I am no mere human," I proclaimed with newfound authority. "I am Satan's sixth child, and you will heed my command." A piercing scream echoed as I invoked the power of unholy kings, demanding the intruder's departure. A brilliant white light emanated from Jake's eyes, illuminating the room and causing me to fall to the ground.

As I glanced over to ensure Johnie's safety, I observed Jake lying motionless while Johnie stood watch over him. "This tale will make for an interesting conversation on Lupercalia," I remarked weakly, my consciousness waning. "I would never let anyone hurt you,Johnie," I reassured him before falling to overwhelming exhaustion, my body giving way as I collapsed onto the floor. The frantic sound of Johnie's voice pleading for me and Jake to awaken faded as the heaviness of slumber enveloped me, and I drifted into deep sleep.