page 2

Johnny's pov

As Jake rushed down the stairs and out the door, his urgency was palpable. "WHAT," he exclaimed with concern, "WHEN DID SHE LEAVE? WHAT TIME WAS IT?" Sensing his anxiety, I tried to calm him down, assuring him that everything would be okay. Jake's eyes, filled with worry, turned towards me as he expressed his doubts about what the world had in store. I was accustomed to these moments of spiraling emotions, so I gently reminded Jake to take a breath. Attempting to lighten the mood, I playfully teased, "Jake, don't melt on the pavement before we figure this out." To my surprise, he didn't seem amused. "She's only nineteen; let her live a little," I reasoned as I guided him towards the kitchen to distract him with a gesture of offering mint. Feeling like he was being judged, Jake questioned me, "You think I'm crazy, don't you?" I shook my head, assuring him, "No, you just care deeply. Lilith's at an age where she's bound to explore." Jake's downcast expression spoke volumes. "It's not just that," he began, but I interrupted him gently, "I understand. Let go of the past worries; have faith in her and in us." After finally managing to persuade Jake to stay inside, I made my way out onto the balcony, reminiscing about our long friendship and the unspoken crush I harbored for his sister, Lilith. As I observed Lilith's disheveled appearance, with torn skirt and black hair, upon her return, I wondered if this might be the night when our dynamic would shift. Walking back into the house, I hoped she would stop by to talk on her way to her room. Would this be the moment when everything changed between us? A flurry of cheesy pick-up lines flooded my mind as I anticipated potential interactions with Lilith.