Wicked Games

"I don't believe that using that book is a wise decision Harry," Hermione huffed in disapproval. "It contains dark spells that simply cannot be trusted." 

Ron looked up from his apple pie. Pieces of crumbs falling haphazardly from his lips as he gobbled it up. Hermione cringed as she watched the savage display before her. "Maybe you're just jealous. Harry here won the liquid luck potion hair and square and you didn't."

Hermione's face turned pink. "Harry cheated. I did not. We are simply not in the same category. And close your mouth when you chew Ronald."

Harry shook his head and closed the book. His eyes lingering on the signature 'property of the half-blood prince'. He placed it in his bag and raised a goblet to his lips. "Hermione, I won that potion on my own merits. I used a book to my advantage, just like you used yours. Besides, I need all the help I can get. McGonagall made Ron and I attend this bloody class in the first place." 

Hermione went to disagree with him when a huge crash sounded from outside the Great Hall. The student jumped up to see the cause of the commotion but all you can make out were flames. The trio immediately grabbed their wands ready to defend themselves as the professors ran out to sort out the flames. 

"Everyone stay in your seats," McGonagall shouted before her dark robes disappeared from sight. 

"What the bloody hell was that?" Ron's face paled.

Hermione shook her head. Her lips pressed together as she thought long and hard about anything that could possibly penetrate the force field around the Hogwarts castle but came up empty. Whatever it was, it did not start a fire to be friendly. It had bad intentions. 

"DEMENTORS!" A boy from the Ravenclaw house ran into the Great Hall shouting. His face in pure panic. "There's two of them! Run for your lives!" he yelled and shut the door. 

No sooner did he close it, the door burst open. Two dark hooded figures flew around us. The candles floating above the tables blew out and an eerie darkness enveloped the room. Hermione could feel Neville shaking from across the table. She looked over at Harry who paled completely before a look of determination hit him. Hermione knew that look. He was going to take on two dementors. He was completely insane. But even Hermione knew she couldn't just sit here and do nothing. 

"Harry don't" she whispered but it was too late.

Harry jumped up onto the table and yelled. "EXPECTO PATRONUM!" His spell aimed perfectly at one of the dementors but much to everyone's surprised, including Hermione, the dementor did not seem deterred. If anything, it seemed like it threw it's head back and laughed. Hermione narrowed her eyes as everyone panicked. 

"We're all going to die," Ron cried and the dementors flew down closer. It went over by the Slytherin table. Hermione gulped as the dementor leaned into one of the students, Blaise Zabini, moments later the young Slytherin fell to the floor unmoving. 

The entire hall erupted into chaos after that. The Hufflepuffs were the first to make it to the doors but they would not open. One by one the Syltherins began to fall. The dementors leaning in and sucking their souls. 

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!" 

Harry tried once again but failed to successfully combat the dementors. Nothing was adding up. Why doesn't the spell work? And why are they only attacking the Slytherins? Hermione felt a trickle of fear hit her but it all dissipated when a spark of blue caught Hermione's eyes and she could hardly believe it. A memory splashed before her at the instance. 

***

"What do you want from my life, Granger?" 

Hermione rolled her eyes indignantly. "It's for Christmas Scarlett."