Y2V3: The White Room Student

Start from the beginning

"Yagami."

"What is it, senpai?"

"Where are you heading?"

He donned a slight smile.

But it wasn't cordial or pleasant like the usual ones he carried.

"Doyle's bar."

So this is who it is.

"What was the 4th generation like?" Yagami asked.

I shrugged, stopping in my tracks and turning to face him. 

"I doubt it was much different from the 5th."

Yagami chuckled, shaking his head lightly and tilting it downward. 

"I've imagined this so many times! Face to face, we can finally have a conversation. Now that mysterious caller crap can be put to rest."

He laughed.

It was full of wonder, of joy, of exhilaration.

Like a child who just found their favourite toy.

He looked back up to face me with a wide grin showing a toothy smile, his eyes brimming with excitement.

"It's going to be great, isn't it?" 

"Do you want to continue this at the bar or do you just want to talk here?" I asked him.

Yagami turned his head to the right, putting his hands to his chin and letting out a shrug after a few moments, "Hmm, yeah, it's a waste of time."

He gazed back into my eyes.

"I thought I wouldn't see you on the way, but this opportunity is just so much better."

It was near feral.

Maybe instead of a child finding his favourite toy, it was like he was in a near euphoric state.

The sounds of the waves hitting the shore the only thing I could hear.

"So, Ayanokouji-senpai, let's play. In this exam, whoever places higher wins. Simple enough? It should be," Yagami asked, a wide grin on his face.

Hmm, that's possible, but I had something else in mind.

Still, something stuck out to me.

"Such a long, drawn out meeting place when that could've been said so simply over a call," I sighed.

Yagami spread his arms lightly, "This is a meeting long in the making, it's par for the course."

"What about your orders from Tsukishiro?"

Yagami chuckled lightly, "Orders? Who cares? What does me expelling you give? Some half-assed applause? It just proves I beat you in a game where I had all the cards. It's so boring."

I'm starting to understand it, partially.

An existence defined by his results in comparison to mine.

The shackles which hold him back are... Me.

If I win, he'd have nothing to keep fighting for. Ironically, the thing that's gotten him this far is hatred for me.

As for a world where I'll lose— I just don't believe that's possible.

"So the island exam has been your envisioned stage, huh?"

"Nothing more fitting."

If he had no intention to go against me, I'd just leave him be. Why attack someone who is just like I am?

"You agreed already. Besides, what's there to stop you? If you lose, you stop getting chased. If you win, things continue as normal and I'll never bother you again. What a perfect scenario, isn't it?" Yagami smiled, "I'll do my best to crush you, so rejoice."

I wish he could.

From the bottom of my heart, I wish he could do it.

"I wonder what you'll do if I reject."

Yagami chuckled, "Do you think you can stop me?"

Hmm, it's possible. But also too much work.

In all honesty, this just makes my original goal when it came to this exam a little more complicated.

"Can I change something in the conditions? How about whoever gets first place wins?" I suggested.

Yagami arched a brow, "Hmm, what about Nagumo Miyabi?"

"I can deal with him. That's the only real obstacle here, isn't there? Without him, it's down to the two of us."

Within my heart, an ember of desire began to flare for the first time in a while.

"Alright then. I'll agree to your deal. Whoever gets first place in the exam wins."

Yagami was practically beaming.

"I just need some proof from you. Something to show so I can prove I beat you, a written document shall do. Come over to Doyle's Bar on the 14th then."

I nodded.

He stretched his hand out, and I firmly grasped his hand.

A verbal agreement's been reached, huh?

"I'll be seeing you then, Ayanokouji."

He walked past me brazenly, not taking a single look back.

"First place, huh?"

Show me, Yagami.

Show me what your resolve ends up becoming.