Y2V4: Nanase's Troubled Heart

The clock had hit 5 p.m., and the day was practically over. Come to think of it, this is like a 10-hour shift of a job every day. I had taken 3 more GPS searches recently, and it all pointed to my theory being correct.

A convening of 5 people, all big names from their various classes.

"Ah, senpai!"

I turned and found Nanase approaching me with an exhausted expression.

"Tough day?"

Nanase sighed, her knees practically buckling as she fell to the grass slowly, "It was... tiring. I tried to do some more attempts at climbing the cliff, but it didn't work. I opted to just take the long route and got a measly 1 point for it, and I also only got a 1 point for this area. It seems like today was a failure."

In comparison, this day was quite profitable for me.

"I suppose it was."

Nanase's head snapped up at me, worry in her eyes, "S-senpai, don't get me wrong! I knew this happens sometimes, so it's not like I'm blaming you or anything."

"It's fine. I wasn't seeing it that way anyway."

I looked up at the sky. In comparison to the more vibrant colours that had been seen in days past, the sun was hidden behind the clouds. And instead of the stark white clouds of the first day, they appeared grey.

"It might end up raining soon."

In that case, I wonder what happens to the exam.

I suppose that I'd have to manage with the underside of a tree again.

There were no people in this area I knew, so for the next few hours, until 8:50 p.m., nothing happened. I had gotten no reports from Ryuuen and Nanase seemed perfectly fine. We'd had dinner and she seemed tired enough to go to bed.

I took another GPS search, and it seemed like Ryuuen would approach in a few minutes.

"Nanase, could you follow me for a moment?"

She nodded, standing up and following me as we made our way into the forest, where it felt like sound couldn't leave or enter.

She sat down on the grass in front of me cross-legged, entirely confused as to what I was doing. I placed the device in front of me, waiting for him to speak.

"Nanase, consider this a test."

She gave me a puzzled look, "A test?"

I nodded, "Yes, a test. In the case that you pass this test, I'll have confirmed that you aren't my enemy. Or, at the very least, you haven't partnered with my enemy. In the case that you fail..."

I stopped for a moment, letting it set in.

"...This partnership ends."

It was a simple scenario to understand, so she didn't have any questions. Her expression was blank, her gaze fixed on the antennas of the device, her emotions hidden away from me.

But still, an innocent person would perhaps defend themselves. Fight back. 

Then again, Nanase is the type to listen to orders easily, and if she is telling the truth, there's no reason for her to fear this partnership being cut.

Ah, what am I thinking?

All this analysis is useless.

It'll all be revealed soon anyway.

Perhaps she'll be an ally.

Maybe an enemy aligned with Yagami.

Or a person who's entirely alone, fighting in her way.