Y2V3: Begrudgingly Joining the Council

"You ready?" I asked.

The raven-haired girl next to me nodded, opening the door to the opulent student council room.

Since it was after school on Tuesday, a good number of people were present. A few familiar faces such as Yagami and Ichinose were sitting on the plush seats that are placed to the right of the door.

On the left, there appeared to be Kiriyama, conversing with some other members of the council. I recognised them as well, but it wasn't because of the OAA.

Near Christmas last year, Nagumo approached me, almost as a provocation. These few people were alongside him.

Horikita strode forward, not paying mind to the people around her.

"Nagumo-senpai."

Nagumo looked up from his documents, eyes widening in surprise as he noticed Horikita's presence. I guess he didn't even notice her walk in.

"Welcome, Horikita. What do you need?" Nagumo asked, a coy smile plastered on his face.

"I need the form to join the student council."

Nagumo's smile grew wider, and his arm reached for the drawer, not taking his eyes off Horikita. Mechanically, he took out a form and handed it to her, never having once taken his eyes off.

"I wanted to make the form accessible online, but the school is slow when it comes to things like that," Nagumo sighed.

Horikita eyed the document for a moment before filling in the details.

"You know, I'm surprised. Never expected you of all people, but I'm not complaining," Nagumo chuckled as he observed Horikita.

Horikita completed the form and returned it to Nagumo. But the blonde-haired man didn't even take a look at it.

"I don't really want to obediently say yes, but this is a hard offer to refuse," he remarked.

Horikita's expression remained calm, "Does that mean you don't want to have me on the council?"

Nagumo shook his head, "Ah, no, not at all. I just struggle to refuse things when they're interesting. If you want to join, I really have no issue with it. Whatever your reasoning. A desire for status, benefits, or you just want to help out, I don't really care."

Struggle to refuse interesting things? If he doesn't care about the reasoning, then that must not be what's interesting.

If the motive isn't intriguing, then the only thing left could be...

"You're a special person, Horikita Suzune. Out of curiosity, did your dear brother have something to do with it?" Nagumo asked, his eyes eager.

Horikita's expression tightened for a moment. Perhaps she was wondering what to say exactly.

"My brother didn't exactly push me to it, no. He had told me to do whatever I wanted, and I wanted to join the council."

Part of that response is a lie, a blur, a fabrication.

Nagumo is certainly observant, but he's not omnipotent. He has no way of knowing that's true.

But then again, I suppose it doesn't matter at the end of it all.

Nagumo's smile dropped slightly, looking a little bored, "I see. For a second there, I thought he wanted some form of dynasty."

Horikita would never gain his trust.

"Nagumo-senpai, my brother didn't ask for it, but make no mistake," Horikita began, a fire within her eyes, "I wish to become president."

The room which had been so full of chatter from the surrounding parties had slowly ceased. All eyes were placed on Horikita.