Taunt (2023)

It's been two days. Maggie is being released today. She had to stay an extra day because her blood pressure and heart rate were above average. I'm pretty sure that was because of the near death experience and the knowledge of someone purposely trying to kill her. But what do I know?

My mom made her some cookies, so that's where I am now. At Maggie's front door holding a plate of cookies.

Her mom answers the door, "Henry! Hello!"

"Hello Mrs.Cornell, my mama made y'all some cookies." I say stepping in.

"Oh tell her I said thank you! Maggie will love these! She's in the living room." Mrs.Cornell grabs the plate and heads off toward the kitchen.

I shut the front door and head for the living room. Maggie is wrapped in a blanket and watching some T.V. show when I come in.

"Hey Maggie."

She pauses the T.V. and looks up at me. "Hey! Come sit down."

I walk over and sit beside her, "How do you feel?"

She smiles, "I'm fine. Just a little sore."

"That's good. My back's pretty sore too."

"From what?" Maggie asks, concerned.

I have to hold in my laugh, "from carrying the weight of being the best team member."

Maggie gasps and hits my shoulder, "I'm surprised your shoulders don't hurt from that ego!"

I laugh, "no, my shoulders are used to it." We both laugh. "I brought y'all some cookies. My mom made them."

"Chocolate chip?" She asks.

"Of course."

Maggie moans, "thank you Henry's mom. I need something sweet." She gets up and heads for the kitchen. When she comes back there's a cookie in her hand.

"Wow you really did need something sweet."

Maggie shoves a bite into her mouth, "mhm." When she gets back to the couch she unpauses the T.V. and we watch it. Whatever show this is has me invested. Apparently a doctor cheated on his girlfriend with his... wife? I'm about to grab the remote and click the next episode, but Maggie grabs it first. She pauses it.

"Hey! I need to know if he's going to get that divorce!" I complain.

Maggie rolls her eyes, "he does, anyway-"

"No! You just ruined it!" I interrupt.

"This show is like ten years old, I didn't ruin anything."

"Whatever, what did you have to say?" I ask.

"I wanted to talk about... the whole June thing."

"Oh."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, I just don't want to get back into that when you just went through a near death experience." I say.

Maggie scoffs, "the near death experience is what's making me want to talk about it!"

"I understand that but-"

"No! I want to explain why I'm bringing this back up." I do a pretend lock on my mouth and give Maggie the key. She smiles a little but continues talking. "So I know I said we should quit looking into June's case that day, but I've been thinking about everything while I was in the hospital. And I'm mad! I'm mad that this person thinks they can cut my brakes and I just sit back!"

Maggie's face is getting red, so I say something before she's back in the hospital for her blood pressure. "Maggie calm down! Think about what you're saying. You want to go after someone who CUT YOUR CAR BRAKES!"