Aunt Em (2021)

June and I will never have the same friendship as before, but we've decided to let everything go and forget about it. We haven't really hung out ever since the big argument, but we have started texting and speaking to each other.

It's March, which means we only have three months left of school. I've been seeing June around town hanging out with her friends, she seems different. I know I don't know June that well anymore, but she seems like something is up with her. I'm sure if there was something wrong her friends would pick up on it.

"Sweetie, you want to ride to the store with me? I need to do a little shopping, you can get you some snacks." My mom says, winking at me.

"Sure mama!" I say.

My mom shows me her list, it's already late so we decide to split it and meet back up afterwards. The first item on my list is bread, then I have five more things.

I'm looking for the bread my mom normally buys, when I hear someone call my name. It's June's aunt.

"Henry! Hey sweetie, how have you been? It's been a long time." Ms.Emma says.

"Oh Hey, Ms.Emma! It has been a while...I've been alright, what about you?" I ask.

"I've been fine, I heard you went to the hospital when Amanda was there. Thank you! I had to stay back and pack a hospital bag for everyone and then call June's dad and tell him what happened. So I really appreciate you being there for June." She says, grabbing my hand and shaking it, thanking me.

"Of course! How is Ms. Amanda?" I ask.

"She's doing great actually. She seems to be stronger and more active which is good." Ms.Emma answered.

"And June?"How is she?" I ask. Maybe Ms.Emma knows what's wrong with June.

"She's good too, you know when she was with you she seemed to be more... I don't know. Now she just drags through the day." Ms.Emma looks a little stressed talking about June.

"Yeah, about that I've been seeing her around... and it seems like something's up with her. She's not the same happy go lucky June." I say, now we both look concerned.

"Henry? Hey, what are you doing here?" June says, coming around the corner with her arms full of groceries.

"Oh hey June! Just helping my mom shop, and ran into Aunt Em." I say, Ms.Emma and I look at each other like we've been caught gossiping.

"There you are Henry. What's taking you so lo-" I hear words are coming up behind me. "Oh hey June, hey Ms.Emma. Good to see you two again!" My mom says.

We all kind of stood there for a minute, "Well I got to finish my half of this list. I'll see you around June, nice seeing you again Ms.Emma." I say.

We all part ways and finish shopping.

When I get home all I can think about is what Junes' aunt said. She even noticed June acting strange, maybe I should just ask June.