Too Cool For School (2020)

I've been going to June's house almost everyday after school, and the days we aren't at her house we're at mine.

I pull into June's driveway and honk the horn, it's already 7:45 and we can't be late for school. 10 minutes pass, and June comes walking out the door. I honk the horn and hit my watch with my finger, me and June have already had a couple of tardies, anymore and we would have detention.

"Relax grandpa Henry, what's got you all worked up?" June said climbing in wearing blue jean shorts and a sweater.

"June seriously, you're going to be the reason we have detention! And you know you're going to get dress-coded, go change." I say putting my head back in frustration.

"Henry, relax. Look what if we don't go to school? I've been thinking, me and you haven't hung out just the two of us in a while." June says, putting her seat belt on.

"And I feel guilty about that, so I'm going to make it up to you! What do you say we have a day at the lake?" June looks at me smiling, searching my face for my answer.

"I don't know about this June, what if we get in trouble, or we get caught?" I argue. But in the back of my mind I know that we're going to do what June wants, because I would do anything to make her happy.

"Don't be such a chicken Henry!" June says while tucking her arms in and mimicking a chicken.

"We can't live on what if's Henry! I've been stuck in the house since last week... And I've had fun but...Seeing my mom everyday getting weaker..." June starts to explain but gets choked up, she looks away staring out of her window.

"June, I didn't even think about that." I say regretfully, while putting my hand on her shoulder.

"It's okay Henry, really!" June grabs my hand, and wipes her face off quickly with her other hand. "Now what do you say?"

"I say Yes! But I'm going to stop by my house first." I say putting the truck in reverse and backing out of the driveway.

We're about to turn into my neighborhood, when we see my mom pulling out my driveway.

"I better take the back way, wouldn't want to explain to my mom that you basically kidnapped me and forced me into this." I say jokingly.

June playfully punches me in the arm, "Just hurry up, Dawton."

I get to my house and tell June I won't be long, she decides to wait in the truck. I quickly go in to change into something more comfortable and appropriate for the lake. I go to the kitchen and pack a cooler full of snacks and drinks.Before I go back to my truck, I go in the garage to get the fishing rod I planned on giving to June the week prior. It had a cute little ribbon bow my mom insisted on putting on it.

I walk out with my arms full, "A little help would be nice, you couch potato!" I yell out.

"Wouldn't I be like a truck potato?" June says, jumping out the truck and grabbing the cooler from under my arms. We walk to the back of my truck and start loading up everything.

"Oh June I got you something!" I say while giving her the fishing rod.

"Wow, Thanks Henry! Now I can catch way more fish than you... Are you sure you want that Henry? To get shown up by a girl?" June says while grabbing the rod.

"We'll see, come on let's go!" I say closing the tailgate.

While on the way to the lake we were riding with the windows down, June was playing with the radio and she finally found a station. It was playing some old Taylor Swift song, she turned it all the way up and started singing. It took everything in me to focus on the road, all I wanted to do is look at her and watch her. And not in a weird way, but I wanted to take in this moment with her.