Chapter 41

Heizou snatched the diary from Sara's hand and threw on the ground, mortified at what he just read. Kujou Sara was just as bewildered as Heizou, and she too took several steps back as if the diary contained the vengeful soul of a ghost.

The burgundy haired boy could not move. He was frozen in his spot. He finally remembered who Asami is. Shikanoin Asami was the woman's full name. Heizou's very own mother. But father had always told him that...mother died during childbirth. That was the reason why his brothers and sisters hated him. That was the reason why nobody in the Shikanoin Clan talked to him...right?

Was that all a lie? Was everything in his memories a lie? Who is he...?

Heizou felt a sudden pain in his stomach. Glancing down he saw blood everywhere. On his torso, staining his clothes and on the glittering knife plunged into him that caused such sharp agony. Looking up again he saw nothing but his own mother...long burgundy hair and bright green eyes. The pain in her eyes hurt him even more...and...

Heizou looked at his torso again. This time there was no blood. Observing his own body, he found not even a splash of blood. Was that...a hallucination? But it was so realistic...so vivid...

"Do you remember now?" A voice echoed in his head. It was Kirara's voice, he could hear Kirara's voice. "Do you remember now?" The voices filled his head, causing him to feel extremely dizzy. "Do you remember..?"

A sudden cry of help then filled his ears. This time it wasn't Kirara's voice. It sounded like himself when he was just a little boy. No...it sounds like his mother. No...it sounds like...

All the voices seemed to drain out all at once, leaving nothing but silence.

—-

"HELP!"

Kazuha jolted awake upon hearing the cries, and Sayu who was sleeping in the opposite cell also woke up. "Who's calling for help?" She asked with a panicked voice.

The white haired boy felt his heart tense, as he grasped the cell key. Sara and Heizou had given both Sayu and Kazuha the key to their cells, just in case anything happened. Kazuha unlocked his cell and so did Sayu as the two of them ran down the hallway.

"SOMEBODY, HELP!"

"Where are those voices coming from!?" Kazuha exclaimed, confused as he stared at the amount of corridors. Despite him working here for several years, this part of the prison was a place nobody, not even a General as high ranking as him, could go. This was no ordinary prison...it looked more like a labyrinth. As if it was trying to hide something.

They continued running however, and eventually crashed into Kujou Sara. All three of them stopped running, and paused to catch their breath. "W-what? Whats wrong? Were you calling for help?" Kazuha stammered.

The Tengu then lowered onto the ground, and gently placed Heizou's unconscious body on the ground. Kazuha was immediately alert. "What happened!? What have you done to him!?"

"I haven't done anything!" Sara snapped, and instead threw the diary of Shikanoin Asami into Sayu's hands. "There. That will answer all of your questions...and you better keep it safe! But for now we need to get out of these tunnels. There's something wrong with it...no. There's something wrong with everything."

"E-everything?" Sayu whispered, her voice shaky. Kazuha carried Heizou to the safer parts of the prison, meanwhile Kujou Sara tailed behind.

Together, Kazuha and Sayu read through the diary. Both of them were left horrified. "Heizou...is dead? Thats not possible..."

"Like I said theres something wrong with everything thats happening. I'll tell you everything I know for now," Sara said. "The door was originally sealed away by a number of heavy chains and a gigantic lock. However...Heizou apparently met Kirara. He began speaking to mid-air and by the time he spoke to me again the key to the lock was in his hands."

Sayu was visibly shaken by this story. "Nobody entered the prison except from those two guards that did nothing but give us food. However they left as quickly as they entered! Kirara couldn't have gotten in...unless she was in the prison the entire time..."

"You're missing the point, Sayu," Kazuha stated. "The fact is that there was no Kirara in the first place. Kujou stated that it was only Heizou and herself during that time. Heizou was talking to nothing but air. However...if we assume Kirara was actually there then that means only Heizou could see her...and that means....."

He trailed off, obviously terrified at the conclusion he came across. Kujou Sara finished his theory off for him and said, "It makes sense though. In the diary, Heizou...died. And he then began speaking to an entity only he could see."

It was only silence after that. Nobody wanted to claim the fact that Heizou is genuinely dead, but has come back as a spirit...a ghost.

—-
This chapter was almost done before I realised I forgot to upload the previous chapter 😭
So here you guys get 2 chapters in a day :D
Has anybody here figured out the deal with Yae Miko...? Read the past couple of chapters and see if you can deduce anything! (please share your ideas with me!)