(GN) Ch. 87 - Little Rat

Start from the beginning

"She is a threat to Kiera!" I yelled at Drake.

"Agreed, which is why we'll keep a close watch on her," Drake assured me, his tone resolute. "And when the time is right, we'll deal with her. For now, our focus must be on preparing Kiera for the truth. If you kill Katherine, Kiera will always resent you for it. She feels responsible for her."

"Why? They aren't real sisters, and Katherine has hurt her more than anyone else."

"Kiera was abandoned and then taken in by her adoptive parents, people she loves and respects. Kiera's loyalty to her parents is clouding her judgment, so we have to tread carefully. Kiera feels like she owes them. It's not about blood; it's about the love and loyalty she feels towards them."

"That fucking leech twisted Kiera's loyalty, manipulated her into believing she owes her something," I insisted, frustration simmering beneath my words.

"I agree," Drake replied solemnly, his eyes reflecting the weight of our burden. "Kiera is already grappling with so much. We can't burden her further with the death of her sister. When the time is right, we'll face Katherine together, but not until Kiera is ready. Besides, we will be lucky to convince her to stay after we tell everything; let's not add anymore fuel to the fire."

"She has to stay! She belongs here." Loki practically whined.

"She also belongs to her people, and she feels they belong in the South." Drake looked as heartbroken as I did. There was a chance we would have to let her go. Not forever, but for a time so she can do what she needs to and heal from all the wounds of her past.

"I won't leave her. She goes, then I go. I can't spend days or weeks without her. Loki won't be able to handle that."

"I know. I'm not sure Demetrius could either. Let's hope she doesn't kill us, and then we can make real plans for our future." Drake rested a hand on my shoulder, giving me a nod. I reluctantly nodded, showing that I understood I needed to be patient.

I watched Drake walk back into the house, his large body with slumped shoulders and head hung low. All three of us had an uneasiness in our souls. Will Kiera accept us or leave us once she finds out the truth?

Despite the turmoil brewing within, I couldn't resist the pull to see her, even if it was selfish of me. Stepping into the barracks, I found her laughing with her friends Andy and Becky. Leaning against the doorway, I simply admired her radiant presence. Her laughter was a balm to my troubled soul, a beacon of hope amidst the darkness.

I slowly walked to her, eyes drinking up every curve of her body. "You look beautiful, Cherie," I murmured softly into her ear, watching as her muscles tensed and her cheeks flushed with color.

"Alpha Chase. I thought I made it clear I wanted to be left alone." She looked at me with cold, unforgiving eyes. Kiera was tired, and I don't mean sleepy. Drake was right; she has had enough of all this.

"You did, but I couldn't resist." I gave her my pleading eyes with a slight pout.

"What is it that you want?" She huffed.

"I was curious how your doctor's appointment went. I tried strangling it out of him, but he wouldn't budge."

"Chase!" She scolded me. "You didn't harm Dr. Hazel, did you?"

"Nothing he won't heal from." I waved it off as nothing. My pack knew my temper, and I'm sure the Doctor had guessed by now Kiera was my mate. He saw me kill that guard for touching her, and never have my brothers and I taken such an interest in another's wellbeing as we did with Kiera.

"You're ridiculous!" She smiled with an eye roll. My little pixie liked the overprotective Alpha in her corner. "Come on. You have twenty minutes of my time, then I need to get ready for bed; tomorrow is a big day."

"Big day?"

"We are going to see the Oracles. I'm hoping to get more answers before it's time for us to leave."

"Leave!" I nearly shouted. She can't leave.

"You promised you would support me about bringing my people home." She crossed her arms with a scowl.

"Of course, yes. I just didn't know you planned to leave so soon."

"I literally said that I was only yesterday."

"I know. Let's talk. I have the perfect place." With a gentle gesture, I extended my arm, inviting her to link hers with mine.

"It better not be Drake's cottage, or I will take a chunk out of you next." She teased as she linked arm to arm with me.

"Not Drake's cottage, although that isn't a bad idea." I smiled down at her. I would love to take her to bed for the night. "This place is better... and more romantic," I told her with a kiss to her cheek, and she blushed as we left the bunker.

The second the idea popped into my head, I mind-linked Maggie to prepare a few things and leave them by the fountain. I did want to talk to her, but that didn't mean I couldn't turn this into a bit of a date.