Chapter 17 - Dark Green Beanie

"And for once you let go,
of your fears and your ghosts..."

***************

Max's POV

My night got ruined before it even got the chance to start.

My ex-best friend Cole, and Valerie's friend managed to do that without lifting a damn finger.

I just wanted tonight to be about me and Valerie only, our first night out as a couple, was it too much to ask for?

My gaze was on Cole, watching as he managed to pry the girl away from him before abruptly rising to his feet. With evident annoyance etched across his face, he looked down at her, exhaling a relieved breath as if satisfied to have escaped, "Man, hot chicks are crazy," He mumbled. My glare only hardened, the urge to beat him up accelerating by the second.

His eyes flickered to me, confusion evident in the furrow between his eyebrows, "Uh, why are you looking at me like you want to kill me?" he asked, taking a cautious step backward.

My jaw clenched. "Because I want to," I retorted sharply.

I shifted my focus away from him and allowed my gaze to scan the surrounding crowd, searching for Valerie. "Stay with her," I motioned for Cole to keep an eye on the passed-out girl before pushing my way through the crowd. I heard Cole whine behind me, "Oh, come on, dude!"

Navigating through, I searched for any glimpse of ginger hair, the idea of whisking her away from here started to seem more rational than anything else. Finally spotting her amidst a group of girls, engaged in a conversation, I headed in her direction.

Just as I reached her side, she was turning around. Startled by my sudden appearance, she paused. "Max," she said, her eyes widening slightly, "Where is Tanya?"

"I left her with Cole," I said.

Valerie's eyes narrowed at me, internally scolding me for doing so. Her hand reached for mine, pulling me along as we returned to them. I tried to suppress a groan of frustration. Why couldn't we just leave them here and go somewhere else?

We came to a stop by their side. Cole was engrossed in his phone, seemingly undisturbed, while Tanya lay passed out on the couch, the effects of alcohol rendering her unconscious. Valerie surveyed the scene, worry etching lines onto her forehead. She glanced around before exhaling softly, "We should take her home. I can't leave her here alone in this state."

"Yeah, I am also getting bored, let's leave, I don't like it here," Cole mumbled, his lips curling up in annoyance as his gaze flickered around.

Oh god, it was taking everything in me not to plant his face into the nearest wall...

His eyes fell back on mine and my murderous look had him gulp down. He pushed the phone into his pocket and straightened up, "Uhm, so," He scratched the back of his head, his gaze falling back on Tanya, "Should we drop her at her house?"

Valerie nodded, "Yeah, but here is the thing, I don't know where she lives."

His eyebrows pulled closer, "Isn't she your friend?"

She turned to him and nodded, "Yeah, but we have never been to each other's houses before."

Exhaling a low sigh, she bent down and reached for Tanya's dress pocket, retrieving her phone. Valerie pressed the emergency contact, and the name "Lara" flashed across the screen. "Who is Lara?" I asked, and Valerie shook her head. "I have no idea. I guess I'll figure it out," she mumbled as she held the phone to her ear.