Chapter 16 - Abandonment Issues

Valerie's POV

I placed one earpiece of the headphones into my ear; the other one has not been working lately, so I figured it wouldn't make much of a difference. The distant hum of a familiar tune filled my head as I switched on some music. My eyes darted around the chilly street, illuminated by the feeble glow of streetlights. The wet pavement reflected the city lights like a distorted canvas.

The night air had a biting coldness to it, seeping through my clothes and sending shivers down my spine. Normally, the walk home from the bus station was a routine, and I felt a sense of familiarity in the quiet streets. However, tonight felt different. The dampness in the air seemed to amplify the eeriness of the surroundings.

I continued along the slick sidewalks, my footsteps echoing against the empty buildings. The usual calmness that accompanied my nightly walks was replaced by a growing unease. It wasn't just the cold or the wet streets; it was something more subtle, something that lingered in the shadows.

Glancing over my shoulder, I couldn't shake the sensation that someone was trailing behind me. I've been feeling that lately; that someone was following me and my every move. Perhaps it began with David's message, or maybe it was just my nerves getting the best of me, conjuring illusions in the recesses of my mind.

David did nothing besides sending me those two messages. And I kept them, a needed proof if he dares to attempt anything later on.

I knew he was clever; he wouldn't risk physically crossing paths with me at the moment, not with the media scrutinizing his every move and our case still the hot topic. Despite his public portrayal of innocence, a lingering doubt persisted among many people— the notion that where there's smoke, there's fire.

The same fire that burned me and my family.

I still looked around at his whereabouts, hoping to watch him burn too alongside his family for everything they've done. His father's business has witnessed a slight decline since that day. It wasn't a strong collapse enough to bring down a whole empire, but it was there nevertheless. Maybe that was the tiny extent of my justice...

I shook my head vigorously, attempting to push away these turbulent thoughts and calm my erratic heart. The determination to rid myself of his looming presence was overshadowed, however, when reality swiftly confirmed my apprehensions. A gasp parted my lips when a sudden force yanked at my backpack, a powerful tug as if someone sought to wrest it forcefully from my grasp.

Bewildered, I relied on my instincts, summoning every bit of knowledge I earned from the self-defense class I had been attending. With a surge of determination, I forcefully shoved the figure away, feeling the resistance of his attempt to snatch my bag. As I staggered backward, my bewildered eyes focused on the seemingly drunk homeless man, his hand clutching a pocket knife with ominous intent to inflict harm.

My trembling hand reached for the pepper spray in my bag but before I could do anything, before the drunk man could attempt a thing, someone came between us. Someone tall, someone muscular and looming. His big hand clamped around the old man's neck, propelling him backward with one swift motion until he collided with the unforgiving pavement.

My eyes grew wider as the man effortlessly fell to the ground, his head hitting the wet pavement and passing out almost instantly. The tall man turned around, his stance so strong and confident as his unfamiliar eyes fell on me. They flickered all over my face and body, almost as if checking if I was harmed, "You okay?" His voice, rich with an accent that resonated deeply, sent shivers down my spine, and I felt an instinctive urge to run away.

Gulping down, I nodded my head. Before I could suck in my next breath, the mystery man turned around and walked away, disappearing down the dark street.