Chapter 14 - My Favorite Fruit

"He talks about you,
like you put the stars in the sky.
he looks at you like that too."

***************

Max's POV

As I slowly stirred from my unconscious state, my surroundings began to take shape. The harsh, sterile scent filled my nose, and the faint hum of something became a backdrop to my awakening.

My eyelids felt heavy, but as I managed to blink them open, the harsh fluorescent lights above had me wince, so I closed them shut again. I could hear the soft murmurs of someone familiar in the distance, and the rhythmic beeping nearby punctuated the silence.

My head throbbed, and a dull ache resonated through my body. My brain felt too foggy and the memory of the overwhelming disorientation that had overtaken me in Cole's room started to come back to me slowly. My eyes shot open and only then that I become aware of the fact that I was in a hospital bed. That alone had a groan vibrate from my chest. Great.

"Hey, you," Cole's low voice drew my attention to the right. He stood by the bedside, hands tucked into his front pockets, his head tilted to the side as he observed me. A few lines etched between his eyebrows betrayed his concern as he attempted to assess my current condition.

Frustration welled up within me, and I raised a hand to sweep it across my face. It was then that I noticed the IV tubes attached to my veins. Exasperated, I let my head sink back into the pillow, turning my gaze to the left, where a transparent glass panel revealed my parents conversing with the doctor just outside. Their discussion was likely centered on me and my condition.

Just what I needed...

"You called my parents," I grated out.

"Hell yeah I did, you literally passed out in my room," Cole shot back in defense, "And with your health condition and whatnot, I freaked out."

"I am fine," I said and he scoffed, "He said while laying in a hospital bed," He remarked in mockery and I shot him a glare.

With a surge of frustration, I pulled my upper body up, sitting upright, an impulsive urge to rip out the IV tubes and escape from this place welling up within me. But I managed to find a semblance of self-control and took in a deep breath, quelling the urge for now.

Just moments later, my parents entered the room, accompanied by the doctor. My mother was the first to hurry to my side, her arms enveloping me in a tight embrace. Her hand went to the side of my head, pulling me closer to her chest, "Oh, my beautiful boy," she whispered, the undertones of worry and fear clearly evident in her voice. That's why I hated this. I didn't want to cause more trouble than I already did.

"I'm fine, Mom," I whispered. I felt her tender kiss on the top of my head, her hand gently brushing my hair away from my face. I tilted my head up to offer her a small, reassuring smile. In response, she smiled back, though her expression held a somber note, and her eyes glistened with unshed tears.

The doctor's words drew my attention away from her, and he began to explain, "Some of the medications you were on were causing your blood pressure to rise. I've made adjustments to the dosages and introduced an alternative for the time being." I nodded in acknowledgment, but his next words held a tinge of disapproval. "Although, if you had been coming in for your monthly check-up, we would've detected this earlier," he stated.

It's just one check-up that I missed, why does he have to be so dramatic...

Also, I came to that medical deduction on my own either way. I just thought I couldn't handle my way through it. Apparently, my body is still not strong enough.