Chapter 10 - You're your father's son

"Show me your thorns, and I will show you hands ready to bleed."

************

Max's POV

"What's up with you?" The curious sound of my mom from across the room pulled me from under my heavy thoughts and had me lift up my eyes to look at her. 

I let the spoon fall into the full, now-cold bowl of soup lying over the dining table and I leaned back into the chair, staring down at the food like it was poison. Something squeezed at the pit of my stomach and I ignored it, not allowing the discomfort to reflect all over my face.

My appetite had been lost for the past days, and I could barely eat a full meal without feeling like throwing it all up after...just another side effect of the meds, but still, it was no big deal and my mother definitely didn't need to know about this now.

I shrugged ever so casually, "I'm good, what's up with you," I responded back but she didn't seem to buy into my casual tone, reading below the surface as always. Her eyebrow raised and she paused in her task as she was mixing something inside a big bowl, baking or something, I have no clue.

She wiped at her forehead, trying to push her hair back, making sure to accidentally leave some flour over the skin of her temple and a little on her hair. My lips twitched and I smiled back at her, not commenting on how she was messing herself up.

She pointed her head forward toward my untouched food, "You've been staring at your food for the past half an hour like it's going to attack you," She pointed out, lines etching her eyebrows as she figured it out almost immediately, "Is there something hurting you?" She asked, the worry floating into her tone in waves and she left her baking spree and walked closer to me, her eyes inspecting me all over; almost like she had some X-ray vision and could pinpoint what was wrong with me on the inside with one single look.

I shook my head, refusing to feed into her immense worry, "I am fine, mom, nothing is hurting me."

She still looked suspicious, pausing when she reached my side, her eyes narrowing at me slightly, "Then, why aren't you eating," Her tone turned playful after, "Is it a girl problem?" She smiled at her theory, liking that thought way too much for some unknown reason.

Realizing that this would have her worry less, I nodded my head, "Kind of," I answered and it wasn't all lies. My mind has been busy thinking back to what Valerie explained to me earlier today, to how for the first time since we met, she agreed to let me in...just slightly. I knew there was more to it but I decided it was better not to intrude. She proved to me today that she would tell me what's bothering her only when she is ready.

Still, that David something, he did his number on her, it's obvious, and I can't stop myself from imagining what it would be like to find out who he is and what it would feel like to bury him ten feet underground. My jaw tightened at the thought only and I forced myself to calm down, fisting and unfisting my hand over the table. I didnt need more stress to squeeze at my tired nerves.

I shook myself back in, especially when mom's smile widened, way too giddy and I rolled my eyes. She edged closer and pinched my cheek, "Ahh, look at you, all grown up and having girl's problems," Oh dear god, I really feel like I should move out of here and away from them sometimes...

The only thing stopping me is the fact that Dad would probably have a heart attack. He keeps whining about Lilly moving out and he doesn't need me adding more stress to his full plate. Damn it, sometimes it really sucks to have a troublesome sibling. I end up paying the price for it...