"Come in."

My heart in my throat, I opened the door to find Melissa, Marcus and another unidentified man waiting in the room. Marcus, the love of my life, looked put together in a crisp suit, those dark circles nowhere to be seen. But he was not okay. I knew that as I noticed the lack of life in his eyes, the spark was missing from them.

He avoided looking at me and was pointedly staring at a spot behind me. I swallowed a lump forming in my throat and turned towards Melissa. She looked troubled, dressed in a somber gray suit, a contrast from my pale pink suit. It was the suit I wore for my first day, it felt right to wear for my last day.

"Please sit down." I've never heard Melissa sound so tired. I exhale as I sit in one of the couches in her spacious office, facing Marcus and the mystery man. Melissa sat down next to me after a moment.

"Romy, what happened between Marcus and you was not okay. A lot of people have been hurt because of this, including yourselves." Melissa grew angrier as she continued to speak. I could do nothing but hang my head in shame as I listened to her rant about how panicked the investors were, how much of the companies' reputation had been hit. I clasped my hands tightly in my lap and stared at them.

"The conclusion to this is that we have decided to remain in business together..." Melissa's voice trails off as I finally raise my head for the first time in forty minutes. I brace myself for the inevitable 'but' that would follow.

"We want you to keep working here Romy. Whatever happened, shouldn't have happened. But I will not ignore that you're an extremely capable worker and leader." My heart jumped with happiness for the first time that week. I look up at Melissa, grateful. I open my mouth to convey the same when the unidentified man speaks, "How can she still be on board after whatever happened? She's the reason all of this is happening in the first place! I will absolutely not agree to this." He has an enraged expression on his face as Marcus begins to sink further and further into his seat with every word he said.

"Richie, there is no need for all this —" But this man who I have now come to know is someone called Richie puts his hand up, "This is just not up for discussion Marcus. This would make me feel secure as an investor in your group of companies." He throws his hands up and settles back, looking smugly at Melissa to say something, who looked like she was seconds away from throwing him out of the room.

I inhale sharply and drop my head. I could feel anger seeping into me, at how easily Marcus gave up. He did not even make a half decent attempt to defend me or the work I put in to make this partnership a success.

"With all due respect Richie" Melissa begins as she practically snarls his name, "I will be deciding what will happen with my employee. Not you, or anyone else." She stares pointedly at Marcus who clenches his jaw.

"And I would like to add that whatever is happening right now is happening because both of them decided to participate in it. Romy didn't do anything by herself. If anything, it was Mister Gold who made the first move. But you don't see me demanding that he face the consequences and be thrown out of the company he worked so hard to build, do you? This is the first and last time I will hear of the blame being pinned on Romy just because she is a woman and that somehow makes you think she's an easier target to dish out your asinine punishment." She exhales and Richie's face has turned comically red by the end. Marcus looks concerned as he looks to be examining Richie for signs of yet another outburst.

But to my surprise, he just stands up and walks out rapidly. I exhale as relief settles into my body and tears gather in my eyes.

"Thank you for giving me another chance Melissa." I rasp as I dab my eyes before the mascara ruins my makeup. Melissa just nods and turns to Marcus, "What I wanted to say before Richie interrupted us was that, since now the majority of our deal has been wrapped up, we will continue with our partnership. But you both will not be working together." She clasps her hands over the desk.

Marcus looked shocked and stared at me, as if I would oppose it. I purse my lips and nod instead. I was done fighting a losing battle.

"I understand that." I say quietly and look at Marcus' pained face. Melissa looks at him expectantly as slowly something like resignation settles in his eyes as he turns towards her, "That's okay with me too."

I look down as I hear Marcus stand up and I remain that way until I hear the door open and shut. My eyes fill up with tears once again as I look at Mel who has sympathy all over face and she walks around the desk and sits next to me, throwing an arm around me.

I exhale shakily and turn towards her, "Thank you for standing up for me even when I didn't deserve it. I'm so incredibly sorry for everything." She nods and rubs my shoulder comfortingly.

"Get back to work Rogers." She says with a final pat, making me smile. As I make my way out of the room I find Ana pace worriedly with a bunch of files in her hand. As soon as she spots me she walks over hurriedly, "So, what's happening Romy?" She asks holding, eyes wide like a baby deer.

"Let's get work Ana. Catch me up on everything I've missed." I say.

She smiles broadly as we walk into the elevator to go back to my office.

My office was cleaned and ready for me. I sit down in my chair and exhale loudly as my phone rings, it was Marcus.

I sigh and answer the call. Immediately Marcus says, "So that was it?" I hear the pain in his voice as my own heart squeezes.

"It has to be. I can't do this anymore. This is not good for us." I say quietly.

I hear nothing for a moment before the line goes dead.

I stare at my computer, wishing I hadn't fallen in love with a married man.

Hi my loves!

With this chapter, we officially come to an end of Marcus and Romy's story. I LOVE happy endings. And this story was started with an intention to give them a happy ending, but I realized that is not what should happen. Not for a character like Romy who has so much self-respect and pride that was hurt when she had that affair with Marcus. 

I love this ending because this is what Romy would've wanted.

I want to take a moment thank all of you guys for coming on this journey with me. It was a lot of tears and love and hard work and I'm so glad that I had all of you by my side through it. 

Thank you for all the love. It motivates and inspires me.

Until the next time,

-Sri ❤️