1.9

BIRDY SAT IN THE BACK OF THE CHEROKEE, STARING OUT THE WINDOW, WATCHING THE TOWN PASS BY.

Glenn was in the driver's seat, fidgeting around nervously while Rick glanced at him every once in a while.

The Asian man clearly had something on his mind, and Birdy was wondering if she was the reason why he wasn't expressing his thoughts.

The blonde sighed and leaned back against her seat, "Just... out with it, Glenn."

She could tell he was holding his breath, "Maggie said she loves me." The car stayed silent as the other two waited for him to tell them what exactly the problem was, "She doesn't mean it. I mean she can't."

Birdy felt a little hurt. She had been close to Maggie her entire life, they spent almost every day together, except for those few years Birdy was at college. And she had never had a serious boyfriend, it was hard with her overprotective father and brother.

To her knowledge, Maggie has never said 'I love you' to a boy... ever. And her cousin never told her she felt so strongly about Glenn. She thought it was just a little fling, that the group would move on and Maggie would forget about the guy.

Was this a way for Maggie to get her father to allow the group to stay at the farm? Or did she genuinely confess her feelings to a guy she just met?

Or maybe Birdy had been gone for so long she doesn't know her cousin anymore.

"I mean... well... She... she's upset or confused." Glenn rationalised, "She's probably feeling, like..."

"I think she's smart enough to know what she's feeling." Rick interrupted him,

Glenn shook his head, "No. No. No, you know what? She wants to be in love, so she's... she needs something to... to, like... to hold onto."

"Glenn, it's pretty obvious to everyone Maggie loves you, and not just because you're one of the last men standing." Rick comforted him with a smile, thinking it was ridiculous that Glenn was worked up over such a thing.

Birdy kept her mouth shut. She didn't know what to say. She didn't want to create a bigger problem for Maggie, but she also wanted to comfort Glenn. While their mission to retrieve her uncle didn't seem dangerous, she wanted him to have a level head in case anything went wrong.

"So what's the problem? Havin' a girl say 'I love you' doesn't scream existential crisis to me." Birdy commented,

"I didn't say it back." Glenn answered, "I've never had a woman say that to me before except my mom, of course, and my sisters. But with Maggie, it's different. We barely know each other." He ranted, "What... what does she really know about me? Nothing. We're practically strangers. But I... I didn't know what to do with it. I just stood there like a jerk."