1.6

BIRDY STARTED HER DAY OFF DOING CHORES AROUND THE HOUSE.

She helped Beth clear the table, washing the dishes while Beth dried them and Maggie put them away.

Maggie was avoiding eye contact, and it was clear to Birdy that she was hiding something. She didn't want to pry it out of her with her father being so close by.

"I think it has somethin' to do with that Glenn boy." Beth whispered to her cousin, "I saw them talkin' earlier on the porch."

"'M sure we can pry it out of one of them." Birdy smirked at the younger girl.

After all her house chores were done, the blonde headed out towards the stables to clean them out and take care of the horses.

But the moment she walked into the stables, she knew something was wrong. A saddle was missing from the wall, along with some other equipment. Birdy rushed to each stall until she found the missing horse, "Oh, shit."

Birdy sprinted back towards the farmhouse and searched for her uncle. Patricia pointed towards the shed and she ran over, "Uncle Hershel?!"

"What's with the yellin', Alberta?" Her uncle questioned as she ran around the corner to the back of the shed, 

Birdy panted, placing her hands on her knees and caught her breath before stating, "Nellie's gone."

"One of our guests take her?" Hershel asked her,

"I dunno, but, I swear I double checked the stall locks last night, there's no way she broke out." Birdy explained,

Her uncle nodded before asking her to fetch Rick. The blonde looked around the newcomers' camp before spotting him by the yellow Cherokee, talking to his wife.

She awkwardly stood off to the side, waiting for them to finish their obviously tense conversation. Rick spotted her over Lori's shoulder and waited for her to speak,

"Uh, Mr. Grimes, my uncle wants to talk to you."

The sheriff nodded and Birdy motioned to where her uncle was waiting behind the shed. Once that was dealt with, she went to finish her chores in the stable.

It was early afternoon when Alberta walked into the farmhouse and was greeted by the smell of spices and warmth in the air.

Carol and Lori were in the kitchen with Patricia and Maggie, preparing dinner,

"Smells good." Birdy commented as she hopped up on the counter, 

"Hey," Maggie tapped the blonde's thigh with a carrot, "Takin' up valuable kitchen space. Either help or get outta here."