1.3

THE SUN WAS LOW IN THE SKY AS BIRDY MADE IT BACK TO THE FARM WITH LORI,

She could see her uncle and Rick standing out on the porch as they approached. Rick was quick to meet them, helping Lori off the back of Birdy's horse before holding his wife in his arms.

Birdy's heart clenched as she watched the couple comfort each other. Once they separated, Rick led her into the farmhouse.

She watched them go and her uncle gave Birdy a nod before following them inside. With a sigh, Birdy pressed her heel into Dolly and led her back towards the stable. She had done her part, she had brought a family back together.

If she can't piece her family back together, at least she could do help the Grimes family. 

She took her time brushing Dolly down, not wanting to be in the way. She wouldn't be able to help, not like Maggie and Patricia can.

It was nearly dark as Birdy wandered her way back up towards the house. That's when she noticed Otis' truck was gone. Where could he have possible gone at this time?

She noticed Lori and Rick in a heated discussion through the window, and Carl was laying awfully still in the bed behind them.

Beth was sat on the porch swing, humming softly as she swayed back and forth, "He still alive?" Birdy asked as she sat next to her younger cousin,

"Yeah." She sighed, "Otis and that other guy went to the high school to get medical supplies. They need to do surgery on him."

Birdy nodded gently, gripping the wooden seat below her. That explained the missing truck.

"Do you think he'll make it?" Beth asked her,

She thought about it for a moment before shrugging, "I think Hershel's the best chance he has."

"It's in God's hands now." The younger Greene sighed before holding her hand out, "Pray with me?"

Birdy gave her a soft smile before taking her hand. Beth closed her eyes and began to speak, "Please, God, let the boy live. He's young and deserves to live a long, fulfillin' life."

"And please bring Otis and Shane home safe, with the tools Hershel needs to help Carl." Birdy added, squeezing Beth's hand slightly,

"Amen." They both whispered at the same time before opening their eyes.

After a silent moment, Beth stood up, "I'm gonna head inside, see if Daddy needs any help. You comin'?"

"I'm gonna stay out here for another minute. I won't be too long, I promise." Beth nodded down at her cousin before walking inside.