1.5

BIRDY STOOD NEXT TO HER UNCLE AROUND THE HOOD OF A CAR AS SHE ROLLED OUT THE MAP OF THE AREA,

The whole reason as to why the group was out in the woods in the first place was to look for a lost girl. The situation with Carl had distracted them from finding her, but now that he was stable, they needed to resume their search.

That also meant the group wasn't leaving the farm anytime soon.

"How long has this girl been lost?" Hershel asked as she placed rocks on each corner of the map, keeping it flat.

"This'll be day three." Rick answered,

"County survey map." Birdy stated, placing her hands on her hips, "Shows terrain and elevations."

"This is perfect. We can finally get this thing organized. We'll grid the whole area, start searching in teams." Rick began, staring down at the map,

"Not you. Not today." Hershel shot him down, "You gave three units of blood. You wouldn't be hiking five minutes in this heat before passing out." He turned to look at Shane, "And your ankle... Push it now, you'll be laid up a month, no good to anybody."

"Guess it's just me." Birdy's attention was drawn to the hunter, the man across from her with the crossbow strapped to his back, "I'm gonna head back to the creek, work my way from there." He pointed to a spot on the map and Birdy spotted the tattoo on his inner bicep.

It was a demon. Her parents made her believe that tattoos were ugly. Why ruin what God created? If he wanted you to have marks on your body, you would've been born with them.

But she liked the ink under his skin. She wondered if there was a story to go with the image.

Then she wondered if there were any other tattoos he had that she couldn't see.

Her gaze darted upwards to find him already staring back at her. Redness covered her cheeks and she moved her eyes downwards to look at the map,

"All right, tomorrow then. We'll start doing this right." Rick stated,

"That means we can't have our people out there with just knives. They need the gun training we've been promising them." Shane replied,

"I'd prefer you not carrying guns on my property. We've managed so far without turning this into an armed camp." Hershel told them,

Birdy's mother hated guns. But she knew they needed them for protection. Only her father was allowed to use them.

In this new world, Birdy knew it was important to learn how to protect yourself. She's only capable of running, but desperately wanted to learn how to fight. Not people, but the dead.