chapter 37; reunion

Start from the beginning

Zeke coughed up more blood on impact, and you immediately rose to your feet to land another strike. There's shock, disbelief, and a deep well of anger that burns like a smoldering ember within you.

"You... bastard!"  You bellowed in fury as you sliced off one of his remaining limbs while he tried to scramble away from you.

He let out an agonizing scream, as his face contorted into a mixture of disgust and hatred, "Y-you..." His voice wavered in pain as he stared at you in horror, "How are you alive!"

You sliced off his other limb, earning another cry from him. There was no mercy to be found in your eyes, only the cold, unyielding gaze of someone who had endured too much and fought too hard to let their tormentor escape unpunished.

Through gritted teeth, you curse Zeke for the murder of your parents, your eyes burning with righteous fury. "You killed them," you seethe, each word dripping with venom. "You took everything from me."

Zeke, writhing in agony and attempting to crawl away from your wrath, could only muster a pained groan in response.

You scoffed at his pitiful display, and skewered your sword through his stomach once more, earning another gurgle of blood from him. You lean in close, driving your sword deeper. "You're a coward. Should've finished me off when you had the chance."

He spits in disgust, his eyes still burning with defiance, "Why won't you just die already, bitch!"

You snarl at his response, drawing your other sword with your free hand to slice his arms off, tearing through flesh and bone as more red squelches beneath you. "What did you do with my brother?"

He wheezed a laugh, "Your brother?" he sneered, "That idiot joined our side a long time ago. He saw the truth about the wretched people within these walls—their ignorance, their hypocrisy—and chose to stand with us. He's no longer some half-witted pig trapped in their delusions. I saved him."

His words hit you like a punch to the gut, a cold knot of betrayal tightening in your chest. For a moment, you falter, the weight of his revelation threatening to overwhelm you. But you refuse to give in to doubt.

"I don't believe you," you declare, your voice trembling with defiance. "I asked for the truth." You said driving your sword into him, down to the hilt, earning a wheeze as you pushed the last of his breath from him.

"Oh wipe that look off your face." He hissed with labored breath, "You Abertines are so annoyingly resilient. Rest assured, it took a lot of convincing for your brother to come to his sense. Lots of broken bones, endless nights of screaming." Zeke smirked, earning a look of repulsion from you, "He healed of course, being the Protector Titan sure comes in handy. But sometimes," Zeke leaned in closer, "I still hear his screams in the night, as he calls for his moth-"

In a flurry of motion, you were ripped off of Zeke as Levi snatched you out of the way of the Cart Titan, who had suddenly lunged at you, its jaws open wide. The two of you tumbled to the ground in a cloud of dust, blood, and rocks.

You look up just in time as the Cart Titan begins its retreat, with Zeke's limbless body cradled in its mouth, crying out in a mixture of laughter and pain. "Oh it hurts! They were right about you two. Both of you are monsters!" He called after you and Levi as he was carried further and further away.

Zeke turns his attention to the remaining line of titans as he rides further and further away, "Go now! Rip them apart!" He orders, causing them to turn their attention towards you in a puppet-like manner

Fury wells up within you, and you scream in sheer frustration, ready to chase after them. However, Levi holds you back, his grip firm and unyielding. "No, Adeline! Don't be reckless," he snaps, his eyes fixed on the approaching horde of Pure Titans. He points towards them urgently. "We deal with these first."