chapter 15; broken pride

The sound of wooden carriage wheels was all Levi heard as the troops returned from their expedition

The sound of wooden carriage wheels was all Levi heard as the troops returned from their expedition. No heckles from the crowds, no sobbing from the soldiers, just complete and utter despair. Tch. I've never seen an expedition turn out so hopelessly, Levi thought. If only I was there to fight. He had grown rather restless during his recovery. He spent days pacing through the silent barracks. Oftentimes, he sat in his office from sun up until sun down, feeling useless. And worrying about you. He knew you were more than capable, but it can get bad out there real fast. Even he's barely made it out alive sometimes.

He scanned the crowd for any glimpse of your face. He kept his expression calm, but he felt an inkling of fear as more and more soldiers passed, but still no sign of you. C'mon, Adeline. Where are you?

He finally locked eyes with a familiar face – Hange was riding alongside a cart of dead and wounded soldiers. She looked the worse for wear, with burn marks splotching her skin in various places. Even she looked ahead in dismay, until she saw Levi. Her expression softened as she entered the courtyard and dismounted her horse.

"Hey." She said.

Levi stared at her, "How many did we lose?"

"Too many to count." Hange looked down solemnly, trying to keep her voice low.

"I see." Levi stated, still looking for you.

"Levi..." Hange sighed knowingly, noticing his gaze.

"Where is she?" He asked.

She frowned and pointed to the carriage, "Jean found her within an inch of her life. She's still breathing but... It's bad."

He controlled his growing emotions as he brushed past the Section Commander with a sense of urgency. He halted as he peered over the side, looking down onto the pile of dead soldiers. Next to them lay you. Bruises and scars tattered your body. You were bandaged up so much, he almost wouldn't have recognized you if it wasn't for the necklace he gave you that still hung around your neck.

Hange had followed him, and put a hand on his shoulder in solidarity. "Although you'll probably never admit it to anyone, I know you care about her. We will do everything in our power to make sure she survives. But... I just can't make any promises."

He picked you up from the wagon, your body practically lifeless and limp in his arms. You didn't reach to grab onto him in surprise like you did the night he took you on top of the walls. Instead, your arm dangled to the side and swayed as he walked. "I'm taking her to the infirmary." He muttered to Hange as he left.

________________________________

Many days and nights had passed since Eren was recaptured. The Scouts had discovered that humans could be used to turn into titans, due to Connie's conclusion about his mother in Ragako. It was soon determined that there was no hole in Wall Rose, and the Scouts made plans to move the 104th recruits to a remote area where they could further experiment on Eren's new power to control titans.