Chapter ♡ 16

Seth has just parked and hopped out of his car when Jack started sprinting for him. Jack jumps like a wolf – Seth anticipated the loving tackle and he scoops up my son and holds him up to his side with one arm easily.

Jack grins ear to ear and shows Seth the ball under the moonlight and streetlights, "Can you coach me at your house?"

"Of course, buddy," Seth looks at me and his eyes soften at the white dress I keep wearing. I think he doesn't mind it, though.

"Thanks for dropping by, Jack and I are quite hungry," I remind Seth, "You don't mind me cooking with your stuff?"

"No," Seth scoffs and turns to the car, opening the back seat to buckle in Jack.

I approach the car but Seth simultaneously senses my nearing presence, so he quickly finishes up with Jack, shutting the door and turning to me.

Seth catches me off guard when he stops me with a smile, "Eliza..." holding up a hand, Seth cups my cheek as he tilts down to kiss me.

I reach up for him in turn, my hand on his white shirt, bunching it into my fist as my head leans back. His mouth on mine is possessive even when it's a simple peck. I close my eyes to the feeling of sweet relief when Mr. Woodburn shows me affection this way. But it's over too soon. The moment Seth's lips caress mine, he's already pulled back to open the door for me, "I missed you after therapy today, darling," Seth admits quietly under his breath as I slip by him with a shy nod, speechless as I sit and Seth leans down over me to buckle me in.

I blush with his extra effort while Jack giggles in the back.

Seth smirks and my blush ten-folds.

"Jack, stop being silly," I murmur after Seth shuts my door and I turn to see Jack hiding his smile behind his hand.

"You really like him," Jack whispers, a little menace as his soft eyes brighten with cheek.

"Mmhm," I purse my lips and playfully glare at him to behave. Jack just smiles even bigger, making me smile and shake my head as I turn and awkwardly await Seth hopping back in.

Once behind the wheel, Seth turns on the indicator, pulls out onto the road and starts to drive.

"How's your day been, Jack?" Seth asks my little man, truly curious to find out all about it.

"Went to football practice after school. School was... boring," Jack sighs.

"What's something you learned this week?"

"We all learned what it means to have stepparents, step mums and step dads," Jack explains with whole-hearted passion, "And I told everyone in class that I had a step dad."

Seth's brows rise as he sideways glances at me, "Oh, and who is that, Jack?"

"You," Jack murmurs under his breath and I try to control my anxiety with deep breaths.

"Jack," I say sternly, "That's very sweet, but you shouldn't lie."

"It's a little lie," Jack growls, "Like a half-truth. A white lie!"

"He's a little too smart for his age," Seth murmurs at me, "That's kind of terrifying."

"Tell me about it," I groan, "Jack, what would you like to eat for dinner –?"

"Anything. Pasta. Seth, is your pack living at your house?"

"No, it's just me," Seth happily explains, "It'll be nice to have you and your mom's company."

"She'll cook, we'll play," Jack jumps in.

"We won't get too crazy, I'm sure it's nearly your bedtime already," Seth guesses.