Chapter ♡ 4

Next Morning

I clean up the dishes after Jack finished his cereal and I give him a kiss on the way back out to his second day of school. He had returned early in the morning after the sleepover to say good morning to me and gave me the biggest hug. Jack had so many friends already that he made through Melody's pack connections. He was great with other wolves and loved to play nonstop all day.

Afterward all the kids have run off to school, Melody is left in the house with me and she's got me a surprise waiting in my room that she told me to look at afterwards when I was getting ready for the meditation class.

I walk into my mess of a room and I see a shopping bag from Denbark on my sheets. It's a wolf fashion brand, but it's top quality. I open the bag and a beautiful white dress unfurls in my hands, with material that feels spelled to be weightless. There's also a necklace to go with it, with blue beads and bangle bracelets. It's very simple but far too nice for therapy.

"Do you like it?" Melody bounces in and sees the nervous look on my face, "No?"

"I love it, it's too dressy though?" I'm insecure about showing up so nice.

"Maybe you can save it for another time, but I thought since you like Seth so much..." Melody cocks a brow.

I had told her last night, in a bit of daze, before I went to bed that I hoped to dream of Seth. I was just making a silly little joke where we both laughed and I dozed right off without delay after phoning Jack's friends parents to double check he was having a good time.

One thing I'll say about wolves – everyone was family. At least, that's what it felt like in the Elmwood Pack in this part of town. It spread across half a city, and the pack was massive. They had intricate networks into suburbia, and even special schools for all the werewolf kids and college kids.

It brought me some peace that Jack had so many to lean on when I couldn't be there for him all the time, although I tried my best. It was a lot harder when I became house bound.

I'm almost ashamed how quickly I left my fear behind in the presence of a stranger – Seth Woodburn. Shouldn't I have had the courage to go to the local playground for my son?

But my son was small, and I was small too, for a woman.

Seth, being so tall and naturally a leader, had me gravitating to him like a magnet.

I dare say... it was almost like... love at first sight?

I can say I hadn't stopped thinking about him since meeting him yesterday afternoon.

Now I imagine Mr. Woodburn seeing me show up in this white silky dress with the jewellery and I can't say no. I also don't want to disappoint Melody.

"I'll wear it," I tell her.

"I have a matching black belt, which will go nice with the white," Melody runs off to fetch it, while I change into the dress.

It fits like a glove, although I am able to see how malnourished I've become. My skin is phantom white and I can see the veins protruding on my hands. My hair is freshly washed and I'm going to make an effort to straighten it today. I had thought about cutting it but I think it actually looked nice so long.

"You look fabulous," Melody returns and puts the stretchy belt on for me and it snags into place.

"Thank you," I grin, "What do you know about Seth Woodburn? Like do you know anything about his past?"

"He comes from Firwood, but their pack is very isolated in the woods," Melody explains, "Back-to-roots pack building, they call it. To be honest, us city wolves don't know much about Firwood. They keep to themselves, grow their own fruit and vegetables, make their own clothes. Very off-grid. Occasionally the young ones visit the city but not very often. I'm sorry I don't have more to share, perhaps you can ask Seth about his pack and his home?"