Chapter ♡ 10

Next Day

Melody dropped me off for the class in self-defence. I had dressed in some oversized sweatpants with a few stains from all the baking I liked to do at her home. I also wear a comfortable white shirt that I tie a bit closer at my hip. My hair is in a messy bun and I haven't worn any makeup.

I had actually been excited all morning while getting ready for this. In my mind, self defence would give me the physical skill to feel empowered.

My confidence, however, changes a tad when I arrive at the football field where Jack played football on the weekend.

Each member of the group is shifted into wolves and there's an instructor there, a bigger wolf with a lanyard around his shifted neck, between the tussled grey fur. It's a Beta, and the werewolves in our group sit in a line, ears pricked, at the ready for their instructions.

Since I'm just a pipsqueak human, none of it is relevant to me, so Seth has organised something for me separately.

Across from the field is the club rooms, doors opened wide, some yoga mats laid out.

Seth leads the way, ushering me with his hand to follow him.

He's already shirtless, wearing designer red sweatpants, his eight-pack fully on display once again. As far as I'm concerned, my therapist is too gorgeous for this earth.

"So, Seth – what are you going to teach me?" I ask casually, swinging my arms at my sides as I watch him toss some mats together to make a space for us, I think.

Seth walks past me to open a bag and lay out some devices.

"There's plenty of equipment here," Seth squats down next to the items, "Key rings with hidden pocket knives, pepper spray, incognito tasers that look like lipstick... but honestly, my favourite..." Seth picks up a small metal tube.

"Is that... don't tell me... is that a dog whistle?" I ask, furrowing my brows, "Or just a regular whistle? No offence... making a lot of noise seems... a little bit useless..." I trail off as Seth clearly wants to elaborate.

"Sweetie, let me explain," Seth is in full professional therapist mode now, he's both serious and comforting, "The most useful item you have here... well, first, can you guess?" Seth looks hopeful I'll guess right.

"Ah..." my eyes skim over the options, "Probably... the pepper spray – because it'll make them close their eyes."

Seth shakes his head, "Try again."

"The taser," with my next guess, Seth shakes his head, "The... the knife – no? So, the whistle? Seriously?"

"It's not just noise," Seth throws the whistle to me and I catch it with one hand, "...it'll call me, I hear it."

A growing grin spreads across my face, "So it is a dog whistle?"

"A certain kind, yes," Seth chuckles at the delighted look on my face, "Every single member has one, and if I hear it, I'll be there as quick as lightning. I don't have a pack to take care of, so I take care of those I teach to survive," Seth gets quite passionate about this, "This is actually my first love – not being a therapist, but being a fighter."

"You're a... oh... the gym..." I guess, "I had no idea – I just thought you liked to look hot," Seth goes quiet after I've blurted the most air-headed statement out without thinking first. Seth tilts his head at me, clearly amused, "Oh ah – you know what I mean, people like their looks, like, gym bro mentality. I didn't realise you learned to f-fight – sorry, I sound so stupid."

"No, it's alright," Seth soothes me without laughing at my nervous speech or the silly things I'm trying to piece together, "Fighting and getting stronger is my way of giving back. I'm always working toward helping others. That's what I have to do. Provide. Protect. Defend the innocent."