author's note

-

Thank you so much for reading my little book! ❤️ I know it's not your typical vampire book, but this story had been begging to be released, so I knew I had to write it. Your love for this story, for Senar and Adrian, has meant the world to me during this journey.

This novella is the product of 2024's Open Novella Contest. Without this contest, I would not have written this story at all, so I'm so grateful to have had this opportunity and this outlet to do so.

During this time, too, I was going through a difficult period of my life with my own chronic conditions. Both Senar and Adrian provided me a comfort that I didn't know I needed.

Now, I know this story does not have a rainbows-and-unicorns HEA, but I did try to end it in a way that was realistic and allowed for some hope for the future.

In any case, I hope you enjoyed reading A Dance at Midnight as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Regan

P.S. A couple fun facts about A Dance at Midnight:

The donatori were inspired by not only modern blood donors but also the comarre in the House of Comarre series by Kristen Painter. The comarre in Painter's series are much more complex than the donatori in my story, but I just loved the concept so much that I wanted to create an homage to them and to Painter.

Speaking of donatori, the blood of the donatori was inspired by the Rhnull blood type. It's a super rare blood type and is golden in color (I think it's more of an orangey-red lol, but the blood in this novella is definitely gold!). Highly recommend Googling if you want to learn more.