a dance at midnight

-

The humans slept, the covers pulled up to their chins. Senar was rather jealous of the fact that they could sleep, and so soundly, too. Then again, they were sedated. Still, sedatives didn't work on Senar, she'd tried.

She clenched the glass bottle in her hand. She had come straight from the hospital where she'd met with Dr. Owen Hart, her new hematopathologist, who was a baby-faced doctor who looked as if his clothes hung on him to dry. 

After getting through the formalities, she'd asked him for something that wouldn't harm humans but would affect vampires; she'd thought he'd have questions, but he'd simply brought out the glass bottle that Senar held now.

"Only one drop per human," he'd told her. "If you're feeling mischievous, then you can do two drops, but more than that, and the vampire will want his money back." He'd chortled at that.

Senar handed the glass bottle to Henry. "One drop," she said. "However way you can."

Henry took the bottle and pocketed it. "One drop," he said. He bowed and turned on his heel.

The humans continued to sleep. Even though they were here against their will, they looked...peaceful. I won't let any of you get hurt, Senar silently promised them before leaving the room.

Back outside the house, she climbed into the car. She breathed in deeply. She trusted Henry, but could she trust the new doctor? She had been vague about her request, but he also hadn't asked any follow-up questions. Did he know what she was up to? Was what he'd given her going to work at all?

"Just drive." She turned on the engine, and with a final glance toward the house, she rolled out of the driveway.

Mina was waiting for her when she walked up the back steps of the mansion. "Mistress!" she said, "how did it go?"

"As well as it could have," Senar told the maid.

Mina nodded. "Come in, I have everything ready for you."

Perhaps it was Senar's frayed nerves, but the bathwater was too hot, the massage was painful, and the comb snagged at her hair. The fabric of the dress that Mina had picked out - a royal purple number that had been custom-made - scratched Senar's skin, and all the lotions and oils and perfumes made her cough.

Three hours later, Senar was finished. She carefully settled herself in front of the vanity. She opened up one of the drawers and took out the vial, the one that Dr. Morrow had given her days earlier. Against the candlelight, the blood inside swirled around lazily.

She caught Henry and Mina's reflections in the mirror. She set down the vial. "As soon as I go down those stairs, I want you both to leave," she said.

"'Leave,' Mistress?" Mina asked.

"Far away from here. Run as fast as you can, and don't look back." Senar carefully regarded them. "They know about me." Like she'd thought, neither Henry nor Mina looked surprised.

"We can't just leave you here, Senar," Henry said.

"Mistress, it's too dangerous for you," Mina agreed.

Senar stood up from her seat and faced them. "And it's certain death for you two if you don't do as I say," she said.

Mina lowered her head. Henry, though, held her gaze. "Respectfully, I can't do that, Senar."

"If you respect me at all," she said, "you will."

"You'll die," he said. Beside him, Mina sucked in a breath.

"Maybe, maybe not. Either way, it's less dangerous for me here than it is for you." 

Henry's green eyes glimmered. He bent at the waist. "As you wish, Senar." Next to him, Mina sniffled, but she retained her composure.