Chapter 4

Flashback -

Flashback -

It was during my high school days, a time of innocence and youthful infatuation.

"I like you," I confessed to my high school senior, my heart pounding with nervous anticipation.

"Ah... I'm sorry, but I want to focus on my studies," came his polite yet crushing rejection.

Even that small confession was rejected, leaving me feeling vulnerable and exposed.

Behind the scenes, I became the subject of ridicule and gossip among my peers.

In the music room, their hushed whispers reached my ears:

"You said Valentina confessed to you. Did you accept her?"

Laughter followed, mocking my failed attempt at love.

"Everyone knows the Romano family is in the mafia. How could you even consider being with her?"

"How creepy she must have looked when she confessed," they jeered, their words like daggers to my already wounded pride.

"If Matteo finds out, he'll teach you a lesson. Isn't it worth getting beaten up to prove you're not cold?" they taunted callously.

I stood on the verge of tears, feeling the weight of their scorn and humiliation bearing down on me.

Suddenly, like a protective shield, Matteo, my older brother, burst into the room.

"Dare to touch my sister," he growled, his eyes flashing with anger as he seized the collar of my heartless crush.

In a panic, I rushed forward, desperately grabbing at Matteo's shirt, pleading for him to stop.

"Matteo, please!" I cried out, my voice trembling with fear and frustration.

But Matteo's fury remained unabated, his grip tightening on the collar as he delivered a scathing warning to my former admirer.

"It's clear what kind of person you are now!" he declared, his voice filled with righteous indignation.

"MATTEO!!" I screamed, my heart aching with a mix of gratitude and embarrassment at his protective intervention.

It wasn't for Valentina; it was due to an emergency case of a disease that had been quiet for a while. He was itching so badly that he didn't even use his fists, Matteo said.

After that incident, everyone was afraid to make eye contact with me.

"Are you okay?" I asked my so-called first love, seeing him covered in bandages with a sling.

The miserable first love ended like that.

"Valentina Romano, right?" "What's more, you don't know what kind of house her house is?"

Even after severing ties with the family after entering college, the tough rumors didn't end.

The men heard rumors about Valentina and hurriedly withdrew.

"It's scary." "You can break an arm if you touch her for no reason."

The whispers followed me like a dark cloud, a constant reminder of the reputation I couldn't shake.

Present -

"But this man, I think..." I start, but Salvatore interrupts.

"I asked if you were dating anyone else," he says, his tone heavy with suspicion.

"What are you talking about? We're here to choose our wedding ring," I retort, trying to maintain composure despite the sudden tension.

"So I'm asking, I think it would be good to know before getting married," he stares right into my eyes, his gaze piercing.