Chapter Sixty-eight

- A Girl?! -

"Things are changing" Gally starts as the last ones enter the Council Hall, and I look up over at him from leaning on one of the poles up front. "There's no denying that" he adds looking around at everyone, "First Ben gets stung in broad daylight..." Gally continues "... and then Alby" he then adds and I look down on the ground. "And now our Greenie her has taken it upon himself, to go into the Maze" Gally then says eyeing Thomas who's sitting behind him. "Which is a clear violation of our rules here" he continues as he looks around at us in the front.

"Yeah, but he saved Alby's life" Fry then speaks up and I look over at him on the other side. "Did he?" Gally just asks him "For three years, we have coexisted with these things, and now you've killed one of them" Gally continues turning around pointing at Thomas. "Who knows what that could mean for us?" he then adds looking at everyone else again.

"Well, what do you suggest we do?" Newt then asks from leaning on a pole on the other side of Gally. "He has to be punished" Gally just says and I look over at him in shock. "Whoah, hey." I then start as I stand up straight, "Whoa, whoa. Wait" Chuck protests too, "He killed a Griever" the guy next to Chuck then says.

"Minho. You were there with him" Newt then starts standing up a bit more straight "What do you think?" he then asks and I look behind me over at Minho, as everyone goes silent. "I think..." Minho starts "in all the time we've been here... no one's ever killed a Griever before" he adds looking over at Thomas.

"When I turned tail and ran, this dumb shank stood behind to help Alby." Minho continues "Look, I don't know if he's brave or stupid" he adds and I look over at Thomas for a second before looking back at Minho. "But whatever it is, we need more of it" Minho adds "I say we make him a Runner" he then says and everyone look over at Minho in shock.

"A Runner? What? Minho, let's not jump the gun here, all right?" Fry then protests, and I hear Chuck trying to support by chanting 'Thomas', but quickly stops again as everyone else is talking over each other.

"If you wanna throw the newbie a parade, that's fine" Gally then starts again getting everyones attention "Go ahead" he continues as we all look over at him, "But it there is one thing that I know about the maze, it is that you do not-" Gally then gets cut off by the alarm, "What the...?" I mutter as I slowly walk forwards, before everyone start running out of the Council Hall, and towards the Box.

"Okay, wait, wait, I know that sound" Thomas then says as I run out after Minho, "The Box, it's coming back up" Chuck explains to Thomas as we stop looking over at the Box. "It shouldn't be" Minho then says as he runs off towards him, and I quickly run after him, Thomas and Chuck right behind.

"Newt, what do you see? Do you see it?" one of the guys asks as I run up beside Theo, who's leaning on the lid to the box, and I look down to see Newt standing beside... A girl?!. "It's a girl" Newt says confused, as a smile forms on my lips. "Wait really?" I ask happy to finally have another girl here, as the guys just looks over at me for a second before looking back down at Newt.

"What?" one of the boys then asks as more comes running up. "No. He's just seeing things" another one says as I see Thomas run up beside Gally looking down at the girl. "I think she's dead" Newt then says as I get a disappointed look on my face, "Oh, come on!" I exclaim "The one time they send up another girl, and she's dead" I complain as the guys look over at me confused to why that is what I'm concerned about, and not the fact that thy send up a new Greenie too early.

"Whats in her hand?" Gally then asks and we all look down at her hand too se and piece of paper in it, and Newt then slowly kneels down o grab it from her hand, opening it to see what it says. "She's the last one... ever" Newt then reads out loud and I look down at him confused. "What the hell does that mean?" he then ask before the girl then wakes up gasping for air, Theo putting his arm out in front of me pulling me a back a bit.

"Thomas..." the girl then says before falling back unconscious again, and we all look up at Thomas confused. "What the hell?!" I exclaim looking at Thomas confused. "You still think I'm overreacting?" Gally then asks and I look back down at the girl confused before the guys get her out of the box and to the med-hut.